upload file problem

  • cornishstrongbitter
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
      Hi

      I am new to the nslu2 and also my computer knowledge is limited!

      I bought a nslu2 and am using firmware v2.3R63. I am having a problem
      with it as when I try and upload files to the attached hard drive it
      begins the process and some files are uploaded but then it stops and a
      message comes up saying that I don't have permission to access the
      device. After that I then can't access the nslu2 through my folder
      icon or through the web address. I then try and switch the nslu2 off
      but it will not. I then remove the power supply and have to reboot.

      If I upload a smaller amount it seems to work most of the time but the
      same thing as above can also sometimes happen. I can access files such
      as play music from the nslu2.

      Any thoughts?

      Cornish
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
        cornishstrongbitter wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I am new to the nslu2 and also my computer knowledge is limited!
        >
        > I bought a nslu2 and am using firmware v2.3R63. I am having a problem
        > with it as when I try and upload files to the attached hard drive it
        > begins the process and some files are uploaded but then it stops and a
        > message comes up saying that I don't have permission to access the
        > device. After that I then can't access the nslu2 through my folder
        > icon or through the web address. I then try and switch the nslu2 off
        > but it will not. I then remove the power supply and have to reboot.
        >
        > If I upload a smaller amount it seems to work most of the time but the
        > same thing as above can also sometimes happen. I can access files such
        > as play music from the nslu2.
        >
        > Any thoughts?

        I'll bet that the disk you have attached is an NTFS formatted disk. The
        Linksys firmware driver for NTFS disks is buggy and crashes in exactly
        the manner you describe. There is no solution for this. You'll have to
        format the disk with the Linksys web interface, or use a FAT-formatted
        disk instead of NTFS.
        > Cornish

        Mike (mwester)
      • cornishstrongbitter
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > cornishstrongbitter wrote:
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > I am new to the nslu2 and also my computer knowledge is limited!
          > >
          > > I bought a nslu2 and am using firmware v2.3R63. I am having a problem
          > > with it as when I try and upload files to the attached hard drive it
          > > begins the process and some files are uploaded but then it stops and a
          > > message comes up saying that I don't have permission to access the
          > > device. After that I then can't access the nslu2 through my folder
          > > icon or through the web address. I then try and switch the nslu2 off
          > > but it will not. I then remove the power supply and have to reboot.
          > >
          > > If I upload a smaller amount it seems to work most of the time but the
          > > same thing as above can also sometimes happen. I can access files such
          > > as play music from the nslu2.
          > >
          > > Any thoughts?
          > >
          > I'll bet that the disk you have attached is an NTFS formatted disk.
          The
          > Linksys firmware driver for NTFS disks is buggy and crashes in exactly
          > the manner you describe. There is no solution for this. You'll
          have to
          > format the disk with the Linksys web interface, or use a FAT-formatted
          > disk instead of NTFS.
          > > Cornish
          > >
          > Mike (mwester)

          Hi thanks for the reply. I have formatted using the nslu2 so it is
          formatted correctly.