RE: [nslu2-general] high pitch noise

  • Urban Cubbage
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2008
      I do not have that problem (at the moment). Have you put your ear close to
      power supply to ensure it is not the villain. Does it go away without any
      drives attached to it? Once these have been eliminated then it has to be
      slug. I would return it & get a new replacement.

      Thank You

      Urban

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2008
        The NSLU2 may contain a switching power supply (to transform the
        input 5V to the actual voltage applied to the processor and the
        RAM. These switching supplies tend to produce noise if either
        some component tolerances sum up in an unfortunate way or the
        windings on the transformer are not wounded strong enough. In
        former days some ham radio guys fixed loose windings by applying
        glue spray to it.

        I would rather recommend to try to exchange the device if You
        find it too loud. A small amount of noise is normal however.

        Best regards
        Peter