high pitch noise

  • ficedula
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2008
      Hi, I just purchased a nslu2, and installed debian on it right away.
      No problems here. But it is making this high pitched whining noise
      when it is running. I can easily hear it in a silent room several feet
      away, and it is quite easy to hear by putting your ear on the device
      (as a comparison my asus wl-500g is dead silent).

      Is this high pitched noise normal for the nslu2? Has anyone else
      experienced this?

      I tried switching network/usb cables, putting the attached usb disk
      through a powered usb hub instead being directly attached. Nothing helped.

      It is quite unbearable to listen to, and actually defies it's purpose
      as a silent server...
    • Urban Cubbage
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2008
        I do not have that problem (at the moment). Have you put your ear close to
        power supply to ensure it is not the villain. Does it go away without any
        drives attached to it? Once these have been eliminated then it has to be
        slug. I would return it & get a new replacement.

        Thank You

        Urban

        Hi, I just purchased a nslu2, and installed debian on it right away.
        No problems here. But it is making this high pitched whining noise
        when it is running. I can easily hear it in a silent room several feet
        away, and it is quite easy to hear by putting your ear on the device
        (as a comparison my asus wl-500g is dead silent).

        Is this high pitched noise normal for the nslu2? Has anyone else
        experienced this?

        I tried switching network/usb cables, putting the attached usb disk
        through a powered usb hub instead being directly attached. Nothing helped.

        It is quite unbearable to listen to, and actually defies it's purpose
        as a silent server...

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        9:22 AM
      • Peter Serbe
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2008
          The NSLU2 may contain a switching power supply (to transform the
          input 5V to the actual voltage applied to the processor and the
          RAM. These switching supplies tend to produce noise if either
          some component tolerances sum up in an unfortunate way or the
          windings on the transformer are not wounded strong enough. In
          former days some ham radio guys fixed loose windings by applying
          glue spray to it.

          I would rather recommend to try to exchange the device if You
          find it too loud. A small amount of noise is normal however.

          Best regards
          Peter