Re: Sudden catastrophic slug failure - Please help!

  • jl0242
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
      I just tried to boot again with no USB stick, no USB hub, no HDDs
      plugged in.

      Got the normal orange ready/status and green ethernet light flashing
      in a cycle for about 30 minutes, then finally got the magic 'beep'
      with both ready/status and ethernet on solid green.

      However, there's no entry in my router's ARP table for the slug (it
      hasn't obtained an IP address). At least the light on my router is on
      (it recognises there is a device attached to that ethernet port).

      The final test, booting nothing plugged in but the power (no
      ethernet). I get read/status light flashing green for about 5 minutes,
      followed by the 'beep' indicating that booting is complete (and a
      solid green read/status light).

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@...> wrote:

      > I checked my HDDs using another linux box (well, a live cd on my
      > windows box anyway). They mount fine and all the files are there. I
      > used the same box to fsck mu USB stick and HDDs.
      >
      > Just checked every single device in my house, and I don't have a
      > single 5V PSU I can try!! :)
      >
      > Is there _any_ way that I can get some diagnostic information of what
      > the slug is doing when it's trying to boot up?
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bullfrog528" <yahoo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > How did you ascertain the HDD's still contain your data?
      > >
      > > If your running all this off the slugs original PSU/Wallblock and
      > > it's about a year old , then I'd suspect the PSU/Wallblock. They
      > > only seem to last about 12-24 months running two 2.5 hard disks
      > > (24/7), before starting to voltage fluctuate enough to prevent the
      > > disks mounting, the slug on its own tends to boot ok.
      > >
      > > Might be worth trying on a different 5V PSU.
      > >
      > > Bullfrog.
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Some further investigation:
      > > >
      > > > My two HDDs still contain all their data (phew!).
      > > >
      > > > I've run fsck on:
      > > > - both partitions on the USB stick
      > > > - both my HDDs
      > > >
      > > > The HDDs were clean, but the USB stick did contain errors that fsck
      > > > fixed. However, this hasn't solved the problem (the slug is still
      > > > exhibiting the same behaviour, that is, flashing of status/ready
      > > and
      > > > ethernet lights but no boot).

      > > might
      > > symptoms:

      > > in 'Disk 2'

      > > HDDs

      > > was

      > > if left
      > > light

      > > take
      > > guess they
      > > can't boot
      > > can

    • bullfrog528
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
        It's possibly booted with the default ip of 192.168.1.77 and your
        routers on a different subnet.

        Try again with the memory stick and without the hard disks, it will
        however still use the ip address stored in the conf area of flash
        (can't recollect the proper name)

        My belief is that the PSU can't cope with the start up current of
        the drives once it starts to misbehave. Eventually the slug itself
        won't power up either with no drives connected.

        If you can get in via telnet/ssh, then the command dmesg will show
        some of the boot dialog. Ideally a serial port connected to the
        internal connector will show the best results.

        Jeremy (Bullfrog)

      • jl0242
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
          bullfrog, you're a legend :D

          Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77

          I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way), then
          plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug. Here's my
          dmesg output:
          http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html

          Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.

          I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V PSU??
          (rather than replace the slug)

        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
            In message <fpvbp6+fvgt@...>, jl0242 <japher@...> writes
            >bullfrog, you're a legend :D
            >
            >Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77
            >
            >I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way), then
            >plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug. Here's my
            >dmesg output:
            >http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html
            >
            >Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.
            >
            >I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V PSU??
            >(rather than replace the slug)

            This may help.
            The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate purchase. I have
            seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power supply
            that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP phones.
            Item code is PA100 or PA-100.

            A quick web search brings up this site for the UK version (must also be
            stocked in other counties).

            <http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3501>

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
              <rob.hammond@...> wrote:

              > In message <fpvbp6+fvgt@...>, jl0242 <japher@...> writes
              > >bullfrog, you're a legend :D
              > >
              > >Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77
              > >
              > >I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way),
              then
              > >plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug.
              Here's my
              > >dmesg output:
              > >http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html
              > >
              > >Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.
              > >
              > >I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V
              PSU??
              > >(rather than replace the slug)
              > >
              > This may help.
              > The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate purchase.
              I have
              > seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power
              supply
              > that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP
              phones.
              > Item code is PA100 or PA-100.
              >
              > A quick web search brings up this site for the UK version (must
              also be
              > stocked in other counties).
              >
              > <http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?
              ProductID=3501>

              > --
              > Robert Hammond
              > PGP:0x154144DA

              Ensure any power supply is a 5v regulated rather than an unregulated
              one. Personally as these power packs appear to be underrated for the
              job, I'd recommend one which can supply some more umpph. The
              original is rated at 2Amp so a higher rating would probably be
              better.

              I've tended to switch to something like this rated at 6Amps.
              http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=PW00993 it
              terminates in a 2.1mm plug - however they aren't the cheapest, you
              could probably find something cheaper elsewhere, as a lot of power
              supplies come with 2.1mm plugs you'll need a convertor as the NSLU2
              uses a 2.5mm plug. Something like this is suitable if needed -
              http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=AV15406

              Jeremy (Bullfrog)
            • jl0242
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
                Thanks Peter!

                It might be worth adding this to the wiki:
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

                wrote:

                > In message <fpvbp6+fvgt@...>, jl0242 <japher@...> writes
                > >bullfrog, you're a legend :D
                > >
                > >Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77
                > >
                > >I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way), then
                > >plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug. Here's my
                > >dmesg output:
                > >http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html
                > >
                > >Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.
                > >
                > >I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V PSU??
                > >(rather than replace the slug)
                > >
                > This may help.
                > The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate purchase. I
                have
                > seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power supply
                > that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP phones.
                > Item code is PA100 or PA-100.
                >
                > A quick web search brings up this site for the UK version (must also be
                > stocked in other counties).
                >
                > <http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3501>
                >
                > --
                > Robert Hammond
                > PGP:0x154144DA

              • jl0242
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
                  > Thanks Peter!

                  Robert even :)

                  (don't know where that came from...)
                • jl0242
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 28, 2008
                    > The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate purchase. I
                    have
                    > seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power supply
                    > that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP phones.
                    > Item code is PA100 or PA-100.

                    It turns out that the PA-100 is not the same PSU. It can't be used
                    with the slug as it has a 2.1mm plug.

                    To use this PSU you'll need an adapter to turn the plug into a 2.5mm,
                    just like the one bullfrog recommended:
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
                      I'm now back in business, so it was the power supply that was at
                      fault. Thanks for the help bullfrog! (and others)

                      Oh, and if anyone here needs a 2.1mm -> 2.5mm DC adapter in the UK,
                      Maplins have them for £1.09.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@...> wrote:

                        > I'm now back in business, so it was the power supply that was at
                        > fault. Thanks for the help bullfrog! (and others)
                        >
                        > Oh, and if anyone here needs a 2.1mm -> 2.5mm DC adapter in the UK,
                        > Maplins have them for £1.09.

                        Just in case anyone else needs this adaptor from maplin, their
                        product code is - L51AY

                        Jeremy (Bullfrog)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks Peter!
                          >
                          > It might be worth adding this to the wiki:
                          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

                          I've Updated the page - any idea how I upload pictures to the wiki,
                          or wiki gallery?

                          Jeremy (Bullfrog)

                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > In message <fpvbp6+fvgt@>, jl0242 <japher@> writes
                          > > >bullfrog, you're a legend :D
                          > > >
                          > > >Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77
                          > > >
                          > > >I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way),
                          then
                          > > >plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug.
                          Here's my
                          > > >dmesg output:
                          > > >http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html
                          > > >
                          > > >Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.
                          > > >
                          > > >I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V
                          PSU??
                          > > >(rather than replace the slug)
                          > > >
                          > > This may help.
                          > > The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate
                          purchase. I
                          > have
                          > > seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power
                          supply
                          > > that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP
                          phones.
                          > > Item code is PA100 or PA-100.
                          > >
                          > > A quick web search brings up this site for the UK version (must
                          also be
                          > > stocked in other counties).
                          > >
                          > > <http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?
                          ProductID=3501>

                          > > --
                          > > Robert Hammond
                          > > PGP:0x154144DA

                        • Rod Whitby
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 9, 2008
                            bullfrog528 wrote:
                            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@...> wrote:
                            >> Thanks Peter!
                            >>
                            >> It might be worth adding this to the wiki:
                            >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply
                            >
                            > I've Updated the page - any idea how I upload pictures to the wiki,
                            > or wiki gallery?

                            You can send them to me directly and I will add them to enable you to
                            reference them in the wiki pages.

                            -- Rod