Sudden catastrophic slug failure - Please help!

  • jl0242
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 24, 2008
      Hi guys,

      Yesterday I discovered that my slug seems to have had a complete
      failure and knackered itself. Does anyone know what the cause might
      be, or how I might be able to recover? I'll explain the exact symptoms:

      My configuration:
      My slug is running Unslung 6.8. I have a 512mb USB stick in 'Disk 2'
      (which I unslung to), and a USB hub in 'Disk 1'. I have two HDDs
      connected to the hub, which I mount with a script at boot time.

      1. Yesterday using my PC I checked the samba shares for my two HDDs
      and got a shock. The first showed as completely empty, the second
      showed some folders but all were inaccessible.

      2. I logged on via ssh and checked the mount points. /mnt/share was
      indeed empty (eek! my movie collection!), and /mnt/share2/ showed
      folders buy all had a 'read error' and couldn't be opened.

      3. I rebooted the slug. It failed to mount the two discs.

      4. I rebooted a second time, and now it wont boot at all (even if left
      for half an hour). The orange ready/status light comes on, the
      ethernet light flashes for a while, then the orange read/status light
      flashes off and back on, then the sequence repeats.

      5. I've tried booting without my USB hub plugged in, I've tried
      booting without my USB stick in.

      The only thing I can think is that my USB stick has died (I did take
      steps to improve the lifespan, e.g. reducing logging, but I guess they
      can still die) and since I unslung to this disk, the device can't boot
      without it. Does this sound likely? Anyone get any advice they can
      give me??
    • jl0242
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 24, 2008
        Some further investigation:

        My two HDDs still contain all their data (phew!).

        I've run fsck on:
        - both partitions on the USB stick
        - both my HDDs

        The HDDs were clean, but the USB stick did contain errors that fsck
        fixed. However, this hasn't solved the problem (the slug is still
        exhibiting the same behaviour, that is, flashing of status/ready and
        ethernet lights but no boot).

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > Yesterday I discovered that my slug seems to have had a complete
        > failure and knackered itself. Does anyone know what the cause might
        > be, or how I might be able to recover? I'll explain the exact symptoms:
        >
        > My configuration:
        > My slug is running Unslung 6.8. I have a 512mb USB stick in 'Disk 2'
        > (which I unslung to), and a USB hub in 'Disk 1'. I have two HDDs
        > connected to the hub, which I mount with a script at boot time.
        >
        > 1. Yesterday using my PC I checked the samba shares for my two HDDs
        > and got a shock. The first showed as completely empty, the second
        > showed some folders but all were inaccessible.
        >
        > 2. I logged on via ssh and checked the mount points. /mnt/share was
        > indeed empty (eek! my movie collection!), and /mnt/share2/ showed
        > folders buy all had a 'read error' and couldn't be opened.
        >
        > 3. I rebooted the slug. It failed to mount the two discs.
        >
        > 4. I rebooted a second time, and now it wont boot at all (even if left
        > for half an hour). The orange ready/status light comes on, the
        > ethernet light flashes for a while, then the orange read/status light
        > flashes off and back on, then the sequence repeats.
        >
        > 5. I've tried booting without my USB hub plugged in, I've tried
        > booting without my USB stick in.
        >
        > The only thing I can think is that my USB stick has died (I did take
        > steps to improve the lifespan, e.g. reducing logging, but I guess they
        > can still die) and since I unslung to this disk, the device can't boot
        > without it. Does this sound likely? Anyone get any advice they can
        > give me??

      • bullfrog528
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
          How did you ascertain the HDD's still contain your data?

          If your running all this off the slugs original PSU/Wallblock and
          it's about a year old , then I'd suspect the PSU/Wallblock. They
          only seem to last about 12-24 months running two 2.5 hard disks
          (24/7), before starting to voltage fluctuate enough to prevent the
          disks mounting, the slug on its own tends to boot ok.

          Might be worth trying on a different 5V PSU.

          Bullfrog.

        • jl0242
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
            I checked my HDDs using another linux box (well, a live cd on my
            windows box anyway). They mount fine and all the files are there. I
            used the same box to fsck mu USB stick and HDDs.

            Just checked every single device in my house, and I don't have a
            single 5V PSU I can try!! :)

            Is there _any_ way that I can get some diagnostic information of what
            the slug is doing when it's trying to boot up?

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bullfrog528" <yahoo@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > 3. I rebooted the slug. It failed to mount the two discs.
            > > >
            > > > 4. I rebooted a second time, and now it wont boot at all (even
            > if left
            > > > for half an hour). The orange ready/status light comes on, the
            > > > ethernet light flashes for a while, then the orange read/status
            > light
            > > > flashes off and back on, then the sequence repeats.
            > > >
            > > > 5. I've tried booting without my USB hub plugged in, I've tried
            > > > booting without my USB stick in.
            > > >
            > > > The only thing I can think is that my USB stick has died (I did
            > take
            > > > steps to improve the lifespan, e.g. reducing logging, but I
            > guess they
            > > > can still die) and since I unslung to this disk, the device
            > can't boot
            > > > without it. Does this sound likely? Anyone get any advice they

          • jl0242
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
              I just tried to boot again with no USB stick, no USB hub, no HDDs
              plugged in.

              Got the normal orange ready/status and green ethernet light flashing
              in a cycle for about 30 minutes, then finally got the magic 'beep'
              with both ready/status and ethernet on solid green.

              However, there's no entry in my router's ARP table for the slug (it
              hasn't obtained an IP address). At least the light on my router is on
              (it recognises there is a device attached to that ethernet port).

              The final test, booting nothing plugged in but the power (no
              ethernet). I get read/status light flashing green for about 5 minutes,
              followed by the 'beep' indicating that booting is complete (and a
              solid green read/status light).

            • bullfrog528
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
                It's possibly booted with the default ip of 192.168.1.77 and your
                routers on a different subnet.

                Try again with the memory stick and without the hard disks, it will
                however still use the ip address stored in the conf area of flash
                (can't recollect the proper name)

                My belief is that the PSU can't cope with the start up current of
                the drives once it starts to misbehave. Eventually the slug itself
                won't power up either with no drives connected.

                If you can get in via telnet/ssh, then the command dmesg will show
                some of the boot dialog. Ideally a serial port connected to the
                internal connector will show the best results.

                Jeremy (Bullfrog)

              • jl0242
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
                  bullfrog, you're a legend :D

                  Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77

                  I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way), then
                  plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug. Here's my
                  dmesg output:
                  http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html

                  Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.

                  I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V PSU??
                  (rather than replace the slug)

                • Robert Hammond
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
                    In message <fpvbp6+fvgt@...>, jl0242 <japher@...> writes
                    >bullfrog, you're a legend :D
                    >
                    >Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77
                    >
                    >I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way), then
                    >plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug. Here's my
                    >dmesg output:
                    >http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html
                    >
                    >Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.
                    >
                    >I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V PSU??
                    >(rather than replace the slug)

                    This may help.
                    The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate purchase. I have
                    seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power supply
                    that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP phones.
                    Item code is PA100 or PA-100.

                    A quick web search brings up this site for the UK version (must also be
                    stocked in other counties).

                    <http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3501>

                    --
                    Robert Hammond
                    PGP:0x154144DA
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
                      <rob.hammond@...> wrote:

                      > In message <fpvbp6+fvgt@...>, jl0242 <japher@...> writes
                      > >bullfrog, you're a legend :D
                      > >
                      > >Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77
                      > >
                      > >I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way),
                      then
                      > >plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug.
                      Here's my
                      > >dmesg output:
                      > >http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html
                      > >
                      > >Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.
                      > >
                      > >I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V
                      PSU??
                      > >(rather than replace the slug)
                      > >
                      > This may help.
                      > The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate purchase.
                      I have
                      > seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power
                      supply
                      > that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP
                      phones.
                      > Item code is PA100 or PA-100.
                      >
                      > A quick web search brings up this site for the UK version (must
                      also be
                      > stocked in other counties).
                      >
                      > <http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?
                      ProductID=3501>

                      > --
                      > Robert Hammond
                      > PGP:0x154144DA

                      Ensure any power supply is a 5v regulated rather than an unregulated
                      one. Personally as these power packs appear to be underrated for the
                      job, I'd recommend one which can supply some more umpph. The
                      original is rated at 2Amp so a higher rating would probably be
                      better.

                      I've tended to switch to something like this rated at 6Amps.
                      http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=PW00993 it
                      terminates in a 2.1mm plug - however they aren't the cheapest, you
                      could probably find something cheaper elsewhere, as a lot of power
                      supplies come with 2.1mm plugs you'll need a convertor as the NSLU2
                      uses a 2.5mm plug. Something like this is suitable if needed -
                      http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=AV15406

                      Jeremy (Bullfrog)
                    • jl0242
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
                        Thanks Peter!

                        It might be worth adding this to the wiki:
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

                        wrote:

                        > In message <fpvbp6+fvgt@...>, jl0242 <japher@...> writes
                        > >bullfrog, you're a legend :D
                        > >
                        > >Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77
                        > >
                        > >I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way), then
                        > >plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug. Here's my
                        > >dmesg output:
                        > >http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html
                        > >
                        > >Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.
                        > >
                        > >I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V PSU??
                        > >(rather than replace the slug)
                        > >
                        > This may help.
                        > The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate purchase. I
                        have
                        > seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power supply
                        > that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP phones.
                        > Item code is PA100 or PA-100.
                        >
                        > A quick web search brings up this site for the UK version (must also be
                        > stocked in other counties).
                        >
                        > <http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3501>
                        >
                        > --
                        > Robert Hammond
                        > PGP:0x154144DA

                      • jl0242
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 25, 2008
                          > Thanks Peter!

                          Robert even :)

                          (don't know where that came from...)
                        • jl0242
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 28, 2008
                            > The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate purchase. I
                            have
                            > seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power supply
                            > that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP phones.
                            > Item code is PA100 or PA-100.

                            It turns out that the PA-100 is not the same PSU. It can't be used
                            with the slug as it has a 2.1mm plug.

                            To use this PSU you'll need an adapter to turn the plug into a 2.5mm,
                            just like the one bullfrog recommended:
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
                              I'm now back in business, so it was the power supply that was at
                              fault. Thanks for the help bullfrog! (and others)

                              Oh, and if anyone here needs a 2.1mm -> 2.5mm DC adapter in the UK,
                              Maplins have them for £1.09.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@...> wrote:

                                > I'm now back in business, so it was the power supply that was at
                                > fault. Thanks for the help bullfrog! (and others)
                                >
                                > Oh, and if anyone here needs a 2.1mm -> 2.5mm DC adapter in the UK,
                                > Maplins have them for £1.09.

                                Just in case anyone else needs this adaptor from maplin, their
                                product code is - L51AY

                                Jeremy (Bullfrog)

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks Peter!
                                  >
                                  > It might be worth adding this to the wiki:
                                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

                                  I've Updated the page - any idea how I upload pictures to the wiki,
                                  or wiki gallery?

                                  Jeremy (Bullfrog)

                                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > In message <fpvbp6+fvgt@>, jl0242 <japher@> writes
                                  > > >bullfrog, you're a legend :D
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Can access the slug via http and telnet @ 192.168.1.77
                                  > > >
                                  > > >I let the thing boot with no ethernet (it's quicker that way),
                                  then
                                  > > >plugged in my ethernet cable and now I can access the slug.
                                  Here's my
                                  > > >dmesg output:
                                  > > >http://rafb.net/p/SY4C6Z20.html
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Now to boot with the USB stick in and check the output again.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >I guess if it *is* the PSU I can just get any old universal 5V
                                  PSU??
                                  > > >(rather than replace the slug)
                                  > > >
                                  > > This may help.
                                  > > The correct 5V Linksys PSU is available as a separate
                                  purchase. I
                                  > have
                                  > > seen a document somewhere that infers that it's the same power
                                  supply
                                  > > that is used as an optional extra for some of the Linksys IP
                                  phones.
                                  > > Item code is PA100 or PA-100.
                                  > >
                                  > > A quick web search brings up this site for the UK version (must
                                  also be
                                  > > stocked in other counties).
                                  > >
                                  > > <http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?
                                  ProductID=3501>

                                  > > --
                                  > > Robert Hammond
                                  > > PGP:0x154144DA

                                • Rod Whitby
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 9, 2008
                                    bullfrog528 wrote:
                                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@...> wrote:
                                    >> Thanks Peter!
                                    >>
                                    >> It might be worth adding this to the wiki:
                                    >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply
                                    >
                                    > I've Updated the page - any idea how I upload pictures to the wiki,
                                    > or wiki gallery?

                                    You can send them to me directly and I will add them to enable you to
                                    reference them in the wiki pages.

                                    -- Rod