FIXED: Vista and network backups to SLUG

  • remote4177
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2008
      from my blog
      <http://deanhuffman.com/Blog/blogs/dean_huffmans_blog/archive/2008/02/23\
      /6.aspx> :

      After much work I got my vista machine able to do a network backup to my
      SLUG. I was getting an error that read: "Cannot create a file when that
      file already exists" The reason this was failing is due to a bug
      <http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2007-January/051318.html\
      > in samba. The defect has been fixed but my Debian distro hasn't been
      updated with the new version of Samba. To get everything working,
      here's what I did:

      1. I removed samba from my slug "apt-get remove samba"
      2. I installed subversion, gcc and build-essential
      3. I followed the directions
      <http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/compiling.ht\
      ml> on samba.org to download the source and compile and install the
      latest version of samba. (compile took about 4 or 5 hours on my SLUG)
      4. I copied my old smb.conf file to the new location my new install was
      looking for it (/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf)
      5. I modified /etc/init.d/samba to reference the new smdb and nmdb
      locations (/usr/local/samba/sbin)
      6. I ran /usr/local/samba/bin/pdbedit to register my users with samba.

      Now Samba's back up and running and my network backups from vista are
      working like a charm.