New to the group

  • Richard Klein
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2008

      I found the Nslu2 website a few days ago & I am really interested in all the features. I was given one from someone that felt it was too slow with the data transfer & I plan to use it to backup my raid backup & other NAS (an extra redundant backup). I was playing with the data transfer speeds & it certainly is slow but I think it might be OK for what I plan to use it for (a nightly 350G backup).

      I already did the underclock to overclock resistor & while I cant tell a speed difference, it didn't brick it either :)

      Is there a way to test the transfer speeds?

      Thanks,
      Rich

    • fenix_jn
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2008
        Well I can tell you. When I got the NSLU originally the transfer
        speed was about 3.4 MB/s. After taking off the resistor I get 6.7
        MB/s as reported by windows Perfmon tool with peaks at 7 MB/s and
        even 8 sometimes.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Richard Klein <rich@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I found the Nslu2 website a few days ago & I am really interested
        in all the features. I was given one from someone that felt it was
        too slow with the data transfer & I plan to use it to backup my raid
        backup & other NAS (an extra redundant backup). I was playing with
        the data transfer speeds & it certainly is slow but I think it might
        be OK for what I plan to use it for (a nightly 350G backup).

        > I already did the underclock to overclock resistor & while I cant
        tell a speed difference, it didn't brick it either :)

        > Is there a way to test the transfer speeds?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rich

      • Richard Klein
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 19, 2008
          How can you determine your transfer speed using the original Linksys firmware (or the latest)?

          Well I can tell you. When I got the NSLU originally the transfer
          speed was about 3.4 MB/s. After taking off the resistor I get 6.7
          MB/s as reported by windows Perfmon tool with peaks at 7 MB/s and
          even 8 sometimes.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Richard Klein <rich@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I found the Nslu2 website a few days ago & I am really interested
          in all the features. I was given one from someone that felt it was
          too slow with the data transfer & I plan to use it to backup my raid
          backup & other NAS (an extra redundant backup). I was playing with
          the data transfer speeds & it certainly is slow but I think it might
          be OK for what I plan to use it for (a nightly 350G backup).

          > I already did the underclock to overclock resistor & while I cant
          tell a speed difference, it didn't brick it either :)

          > Is there a way to test the transfer speeds?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Rich

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2008

            > Is there a way to test the transfer speeds?

            Have a look at:
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/SolvePerformanceProblems

            --
            marceln