Re: pl2303 serial-usb, SlugOsBE 4.8 works

  • reuter.rudolf
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hello,
      Now I have upgraded a second NSLU2 to SlugOsBE 4.8 and the USB/RS232
      converter (pl2303) now also works on an USB-Hub. With uNSLUng 6.8/6.10
      it did NOT work on an USB-Hub neither Port 1/2, only direct on Port
      1/2.
      Greetings, Rudi

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Kelly" <mekelly5@...> wrote:

      > For what it's worth, the FTDI based usb to serial give much more
      reliable
      > performance than the PL2302 based ones for some reason. I'm using
      Openwrt
      > on my slug and have both of these devices compiled into the kernel.
      I've
      > not had any issues with a hub being a problem for either.
      >
      > On Jan 21, 2008 8:37 PM, mr_markas <groups@...> wrote:
      >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      <nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@>
      > >
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      <nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > > I found out, that you can not use a hub.
      > > > I have uNSLung 6.8.
      > > -- snip'd moderate dmesg
      > > > Greetings, Rudi
      > > >

      > > That (and this) post is kind of an apple vs orange comparison. That
      > > could be something specific to Unslung 6.8/6.10 or using the pl2303.
      > >
      > > As for the original email, I'm using SlugOS/BE (OpenSlug) with a ftdi
      > > USB Serial on a non-powered hub just fine.
      > >
      > > The http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/USB2Serial was pretty
      > > straight forward.
      > >
      > > Since then, my kernel modules loaded at boot time having them defined
      > > in /etc/modutils/modules (usbserial and ftdi_sio) per the HowTo
      > > instructions. Kind of important so they are available immediately
      > > whether the USB Serial is plugged in or not.
      > >
      > > There was some special notes about the Prolific pl2303 chips though.
      > >
      > > I even use the usb-login.sh at the bottom of the HowTo for the getty
      > > issue when the USB Serial is not plugged in. Something you might need
      > > to keep in mind.
      > >
      > > Here's my `dmesg` when inserting the non-powered hub followed by
      > > placing the ftdi in the hub:
      > >
      > > <6>usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
      > > <6>usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
      > > <6>hub 2-1:1.0: USB hub found
      > > <6>hub 2-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
      > > <6>usb 2-1.4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
      > > <6>usb 2-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
      > > <6>ftdi_sio 2-1.4:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
      > > <6>drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT8U232AM
      > > <6>usb 2-1.4: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
      > >
      > > Hope this helps. Later, Mark S.

    • mh69
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2008
        I am trying to programming a Roomba with a NSLU2 and am running SlugOS on
        the NSLU.
        The problem is that I am not getting /dev/ttyUSB* when I plug in the Roomba
        (USB with pl2303). Instead I am getting /dev.usbdev*.
        But when I try to send commands through this the java rxtx library is not
        able to open the connection.
        /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 are present but sending commands to either of the
        two does not work.

        I am using a non-powered USB hub. Do you think this is the problem ?