Re: [nslu2-general] Setting up webserver - please help!

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2008
      In message <fn7a66+hjv8@...>, raspden <raspden@...> writes
      >Hi there,
      >
      >I've just got a NSLU2 and have unslung it with the latest firmware.
      >I'm just trying to get to grips with setting up applications on it.
      >However as my Linux experience is a bit basic I'm finding it tricky.
      >
      >What I'm trying to do is set up a webserver running PHP and MYSQL. I
      >have opted for lightttpd as it's supposed to be resource friendly, and
      >I installed this first. I then installed PHP, then MySQL, then finally
      >PHPMyAdmin so I could administer databases.

      You need to also install
      php-mysql
      and
      php-fcgi

      There are some config files that will need changing, the recommended
      route for this is to install the openssh optware package and if
      connecting with a WinXP machine use WinSCP. WinSCP has a built in Linux
      compatible text editor. (Alternatively just use one of the command
      line editors such as vi).

      Check out the Wiki page
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/DeployPHPWebAppUsingFastCGI>

      You will need to add the fastcgi.server configuration to the
      lighttpd.conf file.

      I think that the optware version of lighttpd defaults to port 8081

      To access the default web page use http://192.168.1.77:8081

      >But now I'm stuck as to what to do next. I have no idea whether it's
      >running ok. I doubt it as I assume I need to configue lighttpd to work
      >with PHP and MySQL. But I don't know what needs configuering. I don't
      >even know how to restart the lighttpd server. I looked at this
      >website: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lighttpd#Restarting_Lighttpd but
      >on the NSLU2 the path /etc/init.d/lighttpd does not exist.

      The default home page location for all of the Optware web servers is
      /opt/share/www. When you first install lighttpd it is configured for
      /opt/share/www/lighttpd/ where a web page is located to check that the
      web server is running OK. At some stage you will probably need to
      change this back to the correct home folder by deleting the trailing
      lighttpd/. This is configurable in the above mentioned config file.

      Lighttpd automatically starts under unslung using a script installed at
      /opt/etc/init.d/S80lighttpd

      You can stop and start the daemon from a console prompt (you will need
      to do this if you change anything in the config file) by typing
      /opt/etc/init.d/S80lighttpd stop
      /opt/etc/init.d/S80lighttpd start

      >The other thing is I don't know the url to browse to in order to view
      >the webserver. I have looked in the lighttpd.conf file but can find no
      >trace of such a setting for servername. I'm confident I can get things
      >set up easily enough if I can just get the server running, PHP
      >installed and then MySQL.
      >
      >Anyhow I was looking for some sort of guide to help with setting up
      >the lighttpd webserver on the NSLU2. Is there one available anywhere
      >which could help me out? I've also seen many references that say that
      >php-fastcgi needs to be installed. Do I install this alongside PHP or
      >instead of?
      Yes because lighttpd will not work with just the standard PHP.

      >Finally maybe someone can advise me on where to put put my websites. I
      >have unslung to an 80GB hard drive and it's created two partitions:
      >ADMIN 2 and DISK 2. What size are these partitions? How do I find out?
      >If the ADMIN partition is small is it better to host my sites on DISK 2?

      I think that ADMIN 2 and DISK 2 are just Samba share names and not
      partitions, all data is stored on the same data partition, size will
      be close to 80GB
      .

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2008
        Mount the drive at bootup to a mount point and move
        *all* your website-related data files (database
        tables, HTML, etc...not OS or program material) onto
        the NSLU.

        Like this:

        1) Install OS. Make certain you install all
        samba/smb packages.

        2) Install all webserver packages (Apache2, wu-ftpd,
        etc), configuring at first to use
        /mnt/whatever-it-wants.

        3) Make directory /mnt/whatever-you-want. Add NSLU2
        to fstab (not sure how yet) or add "mount -t cifs -o
        pass="whatever" "//[static ip of NSLU]/[disk
        name of drive]" /mnt/what-you-really-want

        4) Reconfigure software (Apache, ftp, database, etc)
        to point to new /mnt/whatever-you-really-want.

        Swap 2 and 3 as you learn and reinstall <g>.

        You'll end up being able to back up just the web
        server, or the OS, but you won't have to back up both.

        ======================

        "raspden" <raspden@...> wrote in message
        > Hi there,
        >
        > I've just got a NSLU2 and have unslung it with the
        latest firmware.
        > I'm just trying to get to grips with setting up
        applications on it.
        > However as my Linux experience is a bit basic I'm
        finding it tricky.

        > What I'm trying to do is set up a webserver running
        PHP and MYSQL. I
        > have opted for lightttpd as it's supposed to be
        resource friendly, and
        > I installed this first. I then installed PHP, then
        MySQL, then finally
        > PHPMyAdmin so I could administer databases.

        Good so far.

        > But now I'm stuck as to what to do next. I have no
        idea whether it's
        > running ok. I doubt it as I assume I need to
        configue lighttpd to work
        > with PHP and MySQL. But I don't know what needs
        configuering. I don't
        > even know how to restart the lighttpd server. I
        looked at this
        > website:
        http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lighttpd#Restarting_Lighttpd
        but
        > on the NSLU2 the path /etc/init.d/lighttpd does not
        exist.

        I don't know about lighttpd. On Apache, the process
        of httpd shows up if it is running at all.

        You will also want to set up virtual servers, unless
        this is a training/testing setup. That starts to make
        the site a bit more involved.

        > The other thing is I don't know the url to browse to
        in order to view
        > the webserver. I have looked in the lighttpd.conf
        file but can find no
        > trace of such a setting for servername. I'm
        confident I can get things
        > set up easily enough if I can just get the server
        running, PHP
        > installed and then MySQL.

        You are going to browse to the address of the NIC on
        your LAN. That's where your router/routing server
        will send visitors.

        However, don't expct anything beyond your default
        page. The page request won't have your virtual
        hostname in it, so you should get a default page, and
        be able to navigate it.

        > Anyhow I was looking for some sort of guide to help
        with setting up
        > the lighttpd webserver on the NSLU2. Is there one
        available anywhere
        > which could help me out? I've also seen many
        references that say that
        > php-fastcgi needs to be installed. Do I install this
        alongside PHP or
        > instead of?

        With PHP, not instead of IIRC.

        > Finally maybe someone can advise me on where to put
        put my websites. I
        > have unslung to an 80GB hard drive and it's created
        two partitions:
        > ADMIN 2 and DISK 2. What size are these partitions?
        How do I find out?
        > If the ADMIN partition is small is it better to host
        my sites on DISK 2?

        When you mount the NSLU2 properly in your file system,
        they will show up when you run "df" (disk free).

        Also see above. I have one I'm setting up in final
        form, and two drives attachd to the NSLU2 are mounted
        at /hosting/www and /hosting/mail, the mail and
        web/ftp folders. That's so I can unmount, backup the
        system, and then remount. On a different schedule, I
        can archive starting at /hosting and get all of the
        visitors' data.

        > Many apologies for all the questions but I'm a bit
        stuck and then
        > internet is not being helpful in finding out
        answers.

        The Internet appreciates you trying first, which you
        probbly have been <g>.

        cchamb2@...
        cchamb2@...
        cchamb21@...
        cchamb2@...
        cchamb2@...
        38140367@...

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • raspden
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2008
          This has been really helpful. Thanks for your replies. The web server
          is now up and running. It seems to be going well. I just have one more
          problem. I wish to use virtual hosts for each of my sites but just
          cannot get them to work ok. I started with setting up a virtual host
          file for the phpmyadmin installation. So I added the following to the
          bottom of the lighttpd.conf file:

          $HTTP["host"] == "pma.rhazzzz.com" {
          server.document-root = "/opt/share/www/phpmyadmin"
          server.errorlog = "/var/log/lighttpd/phpmyadmin/error.log"
          accesslog.filename = "/var/log/lighttpd/phpmyadmin/access.log"
          #server.error-handler-404 = "/e404.php"
          }

          I then restarted the lighttpd server and navigated to
          http://pma.rhazzzz.com but the browser could find no page. So I tried
          adding :8081 to the url and still no joy. I then tried adding the line
          'server.port = 8081' to the virtual host and still no joy.

          I have tried this set up with both 'mod_evhost' and 'mod_simple_vhost'
          installed but it seems to make no difference.

          Therefore I'd be most grateful for guidance on this if someone can
          help me out.

          Cheers.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > >php-fastcgi needs to be installed. Do I install this alongside PHP or
          > >instead of?
          > Yes because lighttpd will not work with just the standard PHP.
          > >
          > >Finally maybe someone can advise me on where to put put my websites. I
          > >have unslung to an 80GB hard drive and it's created two partitions:
          > >ADMIN 2 and DISK 2. What size are these partitions? How do I find out?
          > >If the ADMIN partition is small is it better to host my sites on
          DISK 2?

          > I think that ADMIN 2 and DISK 2 are just Samba share names and not
          > partitions, all data is stored on the same data partition, size will
          > be close to 80GB
          > .
          > >Many apologies for all the questions but I'm a bit stuck and then
          > >internet is not being helpful in finding out answers.

        • herriedoc
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2008
            If your computer and your NSLU2 are in the samen subnet using one public IP-adress (e.g.
            like behind a common household NAT-router) and you have IP traffic for your HTTP-port
            redirected your PC cannot find the adress like any computer outside the local network.

            2 solutions:
            1. check your website out using another connection to the internet to check out network
            setup
            2. modify your hosts-file on your computer (for Windows, I'm not sure what you can do,
            sorry) to be sure if you use the adress you actually get your webserver (nice for
            maintenance purposes)