Re: Networking Dilemna

  • fantuzfantuz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
      hello chris !

      why don't you setup ssh tunnels over your main ssh connection ?
      tunnel is easy, it just needs 1 opened port (the ssh one), then you
      can forward and backward ports, even on the fly !!

      look : if i'm away from home, and want to stream my mt-daapd to
      office, i'll issue a command like this :

      ssh -l root -L 10000:127.0.0.1:3689 domain.or.ipaddress.com -p 443

      substitute "domain.or.ipaddress.com" with a valid domain/ip address
      and note the "-p" option that tells to use 443 instead of 22 (this is
      optional but works great trough proxies !!)
      to change ssh port look "sshd_config" in ~/.ssh/

      if you use a client like putty, look in options you will find "SSH-
      >Tunnels" and there you can setup multiple tunnel forwardings

      hope it helps

      Massimiliano Fantuzzi -- http://www.fantuz.net

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
      <gerald_clark@...> wrote:

      > christopher_m_hecht wrote:
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > Here is my dilemna, I have a Unslung 5.5 running MT-DAAP, and a
      > > Netgear WGT624. I've set it up in my network with a few
      scenarios.

      > > 1) My Slug is obtaining a NAT address from my WGT. In this
      scenario,
      > > my Roku, on the same subnet, can pick up the Slug and read the
      > > library. This is great for home use, but unfortunately, I cannot
      > > access the Slug from the internet.
      > >
      > > 2) I give my Slug a hardcoded IP address (I have three of them,
      > > other's are being used for other things), and connect it to my
      DSL
      > > router directly, this is great, and now I can shell in from my
      > > office, and stream my music no problem there, but unfortunately,
      > > since my Roku is on my wireless subnet, it can't see my Slug, and
      > > then my Roku is a paperweight.
      > >
      > > 3) The Panacea I'm not sure I can achieve. I'd like to have my
      > > static IP'ed slug on the same subnet as DHCP'ed Roku. I've been
      told
      > > by netgear this isn't feasible, as they will only route their NAT
      > > addresses and I can't have a external IP behind their router.
      > >
      > > So, is three possible, are there wireless routers that will let
      me
      > > assign a static, external and routable IP address as an option?
      > >
      > > Does anyone have any other options or recommendations as to how
      > > make this fly, if I have to buy some more hardware, toss out the
      WGT,