NSLU2 file access control

  • ernstjanoud
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2008

      I experience a weird problem with the stock Linux firmware. I have a
      script running (as root) on the NSLU2 which creates a text file on
      the shared (EXT2 formatted) harddisk (firewall log from my ADSL
      modem). Ofcourse Samba enables me to access that file from a Windows
      XP PC on the network for further analysing.

      The resulting security permissions as the Windows XP PC sees it (from
      the security tab under properties) are that user 'Everyone' only can
      read this file and that user 'root\NSLU2' can read/write this file.
      The weird thing is that user 'Everyone' can delete the file although
      no special permissions are set and although it is not the owner.
      User 'Everyone' cannot change this file (results in Access Denied, or
      using CMD.EXE that it cannot find the file) so I copy the file in
      question to a temporary file, change this file, delete the original
      and rename it back. Clumsy.

      Copying the file from the NSLU2 share to the Windows XP box, deleting
      the original and copying it back. also changes the file permissions
      (to R/W/X). This more or less takes ownership I guess.

      BTW; according to Windows the file in question is a system file. (?)

      So I then considered doing a CHMOD 777 on this file from the NSLU2
      just after it has created the file. However; then I cannot even
      delete the file anymore; according to Windows XP's permissions taking
      ownership is now allowed but any utility I use to do that doesn't
      work. Sounds a bit logical since this is Samba doing its best to
      present this drive as a drive Windows XP can work on but ofcourse it
      is not an NTFS disk so I reckon tools like SETACL, TAKEOWN etc. won't
      work.

      Can someone explain how the security permissions on a plain Linux box
      like the NSLU2 (with no extra file access control such as Posix
      SETFACL and GETFACL commands) - on an EXT2 formatted volume - are
      presented to Windows XP (Professional) or point me to some FAQ on
      this matter?

      TIA

      Ernst