pl2303 serial-usb

  • slaveslug
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 19, 2008
      Hello,

      I've just got a slug going with openslug/be and it works great except
      for serial usb.

      I've installed kernel-module-usbserial and kernel-module-pl2303

      The usb device is reported in dmesg:

      <6>usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
      <6>usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

      but the module is not loaded and no serial port is mapped.

      I've tried 2 usb-serial dongles based on the prolific 2303 chipset -
      they both work under debian - x86 but none load on the slug

      any Ideas thanks?
    • reuter.rudolf
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2008
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "slaveslug" <slaveslug@...> wrote:
        > I've just got a slug going with openslug/be and it works great except
        > for serial usb.
        >
        > I've installed kernel-module-usbserial and kernel-module-pl2303
        >
        > The usb device is reported in dmesg:
        >
        > <6>usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
        > <6>usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
        >
        > but the module is not loaded and no serial port is mapped.
        >
        > I've tried 2 usb-serial dongles based on the prolific 2303 chipset -
        > they both work under debian - x86 but none load on the slug
        >
        > any Ideas thanks?

        I found out, that you can not use a hub.
        I have uNSLung 6.8.
        (as root):
        insmod usbserial
        insmod pl2303
        dmesg of a working installation:
        <46>Sep 23 09:33:40 klogd: usb.c: registered new driver serial
        <46>Sep 23 09:33:40 klogd: usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered
        for Generic
        <46>Sep 23 09:33:40 klogd: usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
        <46>Sep 23 09:34:07 klogd: usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered
        for PL-2303
        <46>Sep 23 09:34:07 klogd: pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial
        adaptor driver v0.10
        <46>Sep 23 09:34:13 klogd: hub.c: new USB device 00:01.0-1, assigned
        address 2
        <44>Sep 23 09:34:13 klogd: Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
        <44>Sep 23 09:34:13 klogd: Device descriptor:18 bytes received.
        <46>Sep 23 09:34:13 klogd: usbserial.c: PL-2303 converter detected
        <46>Sep 23 09:34:13 klogd: usbserial.c: PL-2303 converter now attached
        to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
        <44>Sep 23 09:35:06 klogd: PL-2303 driver type: new (PL-2303X).

        Greetings, Rudi
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 20, 2008
          "slaveslug" <slaveslug@...> writes:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I've just got a slug going with openslug/be and it works great except
          > for serial usb.
          >
          > I've installed kernel-module-usbserial and kernel-module-pl2303
          >
          > The usb device is reported in dmesg:
          >
          > <6>usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
          > <6>usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
          >
          > but the module is not loaded and no serial port is mapped.
          >
          > I've tried 2 usb-serial dongles based on the prolific 2303 chipset -
          > they both work under debian - x86 but none load on the slug
          >
          > any Ideas thanks?

          Did you issue the "depmod -a" command after you installed the kernel
          modules?

          Mike (mwester)
        • mr_markas
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2008
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "slaveslug" <slaveslug@> wrote:
            > > I've just got a slug going with openslug/be and it works great except
            > > for serial usb.
            > >
            > > I've installed kernel-module-usbserial and kernel-module-pl2303
            > >
            > > The usb device is reported in dmesg:
            > >
            > > <6>usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
            > > <6>usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
            > >
            > > but the module is not loaded and no serial port is mapped.
            > >
            > > I've tried 2 usb-serial dongles based on the prolific 2303 chipset -
            > > they both work under debian - x86 but none load on the slug
            > >
            > > any Ideas thanks?
            > >
            > I found out, that you can not use a hub.
            > I have uNSLung 6.8.
            -- snip'd moderate dmesg
            > Greetings, Rudi

            That (and this) post is kind of an apple vs orange comparison. That
            could be something specific to Unslung 6.8/6.10 or using the pl2303.

            As for the original email, I'm using SlugOS/BE (OpenSlug) with a ftdi
            USB Serial on a non-powered hub just fine.

            The http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/USB2Serial was pretty
            straight forward.

            Since then, my kernel modules loaded at boot time having them defined
            in /etc/modutils/modules (usbserial and ftdi_sio) per the HowTo
            instructions. Kind of important so they are available immediately
            whether the USB Serial is plugged in or not.

            There was some special notes about the Prolific pl2303 chips though.

            I even use the usb-login.sh at the bottom of the HowTo for the getty
            issue when the USB Serial is not plugged in. Something you might need
            to keep in mind.

            Here's my `dmesg` when inserting the non-powered hub followed by
            placing the ftdi in the hub:

            <6>usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
            <6>usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
            <6>hub 2-1:1.0: USB hub found
            <6>hub 2-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
            <6>usb 2-1.4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
            <6>usb 2-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
            <6>ftdi_sio 2-1.4:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
            <6>drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT8U232AM
            <6>usb 2-1.4: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

            Hope this helps. Later, Mark S.
          • Mark Kelly
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
              For what it's worth, the FTDI based usb to serial give much more reliable
              performance than the PL2302 based ones for some reason. I'm using Openwrt
              on my slug and have both of these devices compiled into the kernel. I've
              not had any issues with a hub being a problem for either.

            • reuter.rudolf
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
                Hello,
                Now I have upgraded a second NSLU2 to SlugOsBE 4.8 and the USB/RS232
                converter (pl2303) now also works on an USB-Hub. With uNSLUng 6.8/6.10
                it did NOT work on an USB-Hub neither Port 1/2, only direct on Port
                1/2.
                Greetings, Rudi

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Kelly" <mekelly5@...> wrote:

                > For what it's worth, the FTDI based usb to serial give much more
                reliable
                > performance than the PL2302 based ones for some reason. I'm using
                Openwrt
                > on my slug and have both of these devices compiled into the kernel.
                I've
                > not had any issues with a hub being a problem for either.
                >
                > On Jan 21, 2008 8:37 PM, mr_markas <groups@...> wrote:
                >
                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                <nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@>
                > >
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                <nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>,

                > > > I found out, that you can not use a hub.
                > > > I have uNSLung 6.8.
                > > -- snip'd moderate dmesg
                > > > Greetings, Rudi
                > > >

                > > That (and this) post is kind of an apple vs orange comparison. That
                > > could be something specific to Unslung 6.8/6.10 or using the pl2303.
                > >
                > > As for the original email, I'm using SlugOS/BE (OpenSlug) with a ftdi
                > > USB Serial on a non-powered hub just fine.
                > >
                > > The http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/USB2Serial was pretty
                > > straight forward.
                > >
                > > Since then, my kernel modules loaded at boot time having them defined
                > > in /etc/modutils/modules (usbserial and ftdi_sio) per the HowTo
                > > instructions. Kind of important so they are available immediately
                > > whether the USB Serial is plugged in or not.
                > >
                > > There was some special notes about the Prolific pl2303 chips though.
                > >
                > > I even use the usb-login.sh at the bottom of the HowTo for the getty
                > > issue when the USB Serial is not plugged in. Something you might need
                > > to keep in mind.
                > >
                > > Here's my `dmesg` when inserting the non-powered hub followed by
                > > placing the ftdi in the hub:
                > >
                > > <6>usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
                > > <6>usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                > > <6>hub 2-1:1.0: USB hub found
                > > <6>hub 2-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
                > > <6>usb 2-1.4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
                > > <6>usb 2-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
                > > <6>ftdi_sio 2-1.4:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
                > > <6>drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT8U232AM
                > > <6>usb 2-1.4: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
                > >
                > > Hope this helps. Later, Mark S.

              • mh69
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 23, 2008
                  I am trying to programming a Roomba with a NSLU2 and am running SlugOS on
                  the NSLU.
                  The problem is that I am not getting /dev/ttyUSB* when I plug in the Roomba
                  (USB with pl2303). Instead I am getting /dev.usbdev*.
                  But when I try to send commands through this the java rxtx library is not
                  able to open the connection.
                  /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 are present but sending commands to either of the
                  two does not work.

                  I am using a non-powered USB hub. Do you think this is the problem ?