Re: Mounting problem causing slow disk reads/writes?

  • fantuzfantuz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2008
      Hi !

      AFAIK slugs mean speed IS around 1.3 MB/s ....
      if someone has got it working faster, it should have recompiled
      ethernet driver himself.

      regarding your issue, in general is good to remeber that NSLU writes
      it's main configuration files directly on ROM (6 MB internal).
      to make some changes effective, i had success by modifing files
      in /initrd/etc/ instead of correspondent /opt/etc or /etc.
      yes, most of times you act on /opt/etc, but for modules and disks
      changes to be stored you must edit correspondent /initrd/etc.

      hope it helps, bye !

      Massimiliano Fantuzzi - - http://www.fantuz.net/portal

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, toenie <0649794@...> wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > I have my NSLU2 uNSLUng'ed and was quite impressed and satisfied
      with the
      > performance, until I decided to re-uNSLUng last week (never change
      rights on
      > your root folder after having Configured SSH Server for Public Key
      Access,
      > you won't be able to login again!). My performance after re-
      unslungment has
      > been really poor, check this:
      ---------

      > # time dd bs=1M count=100 if=/dev/zero of=hugefile.dat
      >
      > 100+0 records in
      >
      > 100+0 records out
      >
      > 104857600 bytes (105 MB) copied, 86.3086 s, 1.2 MB/s
      >
      > real 1m 32.89s
      >
      > user 0m 0.00s
      >
      > sys 0m 4.27s

      ---------

      > So the creation of a 105MB file takes 1 minute 37 seconds with a
      1.2MB/s
      > writing average!
      >
      > Since yesterday I've been searching for the cause of this slow disk
      > performace and I've read that mounting should be done async. Check
      my fstab:

      ---------

      > # cat /etc/fstab
      >
      > #/dev/ram0 / ext2
      defaults
      > 1 1
      >
      > #none /proc proc
      defaults
      > 0 0
      >
      > #none /dev/pts devpts
      gid=5,mode=620
      > 0 0
      >
      > /dev/sda1 /share/flash/data ext3
      defaults,usrquota
      > 1 1
      >
      > /dev/sda2 /share/flash/conf ext3
      defaults
      > 1 1
      >
      > /dev/sda3 swap swap
      defaults
      > 0 0
      >
      > #

      ---------

      > Can you, mighty forum, see if somethings wrong with these settings?
      What I
      > tried was to change defaults on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 to async.
      But after