[nslu2-general] Unslung - where is 'admin' password stored?

  • SmashTheGnat
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      I tried to change the password for the user 'admin', using the Unslung web
      interface. Unfortunately I seem to have messed things up.

      Now
      * I can no longer log into my NSLU2 by ftp;
      * Neither can I log into the admin-only parts of the Unslung web interface.

      Fortunately, I can still log in as 'root' by SSH so I'm hoping I can rectify
      things from the command line.

      However I've had no luck with the instructions here: >>>
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine
      Changing the password using passwd does indeed update /etc/passwd, so I copy
      this over /share/hdd/conf/passwd. But after rebooting, /etc/passwd has
      goneback to how it was before! :(

      Moreover, neither passwd nor smbpasswd seem to change the password for the
      Unslung web interface or FTP.

      1. How can I change/reset the admin password for accessing the web
      interface?
      2. Should it be the same password for logging into ftp as admin? Please can
      someone clarify if there are indeed four different passwords (admin the ftp
      user, admin the web interface user, admin the Samba user, and admin the OS
      user?) Sorry if this is obvious.