Unslung nslu2 reports a 30gb HD as 30mb flash; runs out of space

  • dnquark
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2007
      I'm running unslung 6.8 beta and I unslung to a 30 gb hard drive on
      port 2 (formatted it via the web interface and everything). However,
      in the web interface it shows up as "flash, 30mb". When I tried to
      use ipkg to install perl, it errored out saying there is no space. I
      have two other (non natively formatted) hard drives connected to port
      1 via a hub; they are recognized fine.

      When I run df it says:
      # df
      Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
      rootfs 30721 27099 3305 89% /
      /dev/sda1 6528 6328 200 97% /initrd
      /dev/sda1 30721 27099 3305 89% /
      /dev/sda1 30721 27099 3305 89% /share/flash/data
      /dev/sda2 124947 4146 119511 3% /share/flash/conf
      /dev/sdb1 488384000 230575864 257808136 47%
      /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_
      1
      /dev/sdc5 292954016 231396096 61557920 79%
      /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_2_
      1

      How can I make the slug utilize my 30 gb disk?.. Thanks for any input...
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2007
        "dnquark" <leo.alekseyev+nabble@...> writes:
        > I'm running unslung 6.8 beta and I unslung to a 30 gb hard drive on
        > port 2 (formatted it via the web interface and everything). However,
        > in the web interface it shows up as "flash, 30mb". When I tried to
        > use ipkg to install perl, it errored out saying there is no space. I
        > have two other (non natively formatted) hard drives connected to port
        > 1 via a hub; they are recognized fine.
        >
        > When I run df it says:
        > # df
        > Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
        > rootfs 30721 27099 3305 89% /
        > /dev/sda1 6528 6328 200 97% /initrd
        > /dev/sda1 30721 27099 3305 89% /
        > /dev/sda1 30721 27099 3305 89% /share/flash/data
        > /dev/sda2 124947 4146 119511 3% /share/flash/conf
        > /dev/sdb1 488384000 230575864 257808136 47%
        > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_
        > 1
        > /dev/sdc5 292954016 231396096 61557920 79%
        > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_2_
        > 1
        >

        > How can I make the slug utilize my 30 gb disk?.. Thanks for any input...

        Yep, those figures say that /dev/sda1 is only 30M in size -- sda2 (the conf
        partition) is about 128M in size. Something went terribly awry somewhere.
        How was the device partitioned earlier?

        There's no easy cure; you'll have to start over again. This time, make sure
        that you return that 30G drive to a single-partition, FAT-formatted device
        before you attempt to format it on the NSLU2. Then use fdisk ("fdisk -l
        /dev/sda") to examine the partition table that the Linksys GUI assigned to
        the drive, to make sure that you have about 29G for sda1, and somewhere
        around 128M or 256M each for sda2 and sda3. If not, there's something
        really strange about that drive... (you didn't pull it out of an old TiVo
        unit, did you?)

        Mike (mwester)
      • dnquark
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2007
          Thanks Mike, starting over like you described worked.

          The disk originally had one NTFS partition that I tried to format via the
          web interface. It turns out that instead of formatting the disk, new
          (small) partitions were basically appended to the end of the NTFS partition.
          I formatted the disk to FAT32 and then formatted via the web interface; now
          df displays the entire 30 gigs on /dev/sda1

          --Leo