State of the NSLU2-Linux project, Christmas 2007

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2007
      Christmas time is a good time to reflect on where our NSLU2-Linux
      project is today, and where it's going in the coming year (at least from
      my point of view as project lead).

      1/ Downloads

      Since we created www.slug-firmware.net, there have been over 100000
      firmware downloads. Our wiki at www.nslu2-linux.org has grown to over
      1300 pages, and in just the last three months alone, the community has
      generated over 4.7 million wiki page requests and requested almost 4.5
      million package downloads from our feeds (which contain over 33GB of
      publicly accessible package files).

      2/ Unslung

      Unslung is the distribution targeted to those who wish to continue using
      the vendor firmware, but add the ability to install Optware packages.
      Unslung remains stable at version 6.8, with over 50 thousand
      downloads so far (up from 22 thousand last year). We don't expect
      Linksys to release any new firmware for the NSLU2, and therefore we
      don't expect any new features or changes in Unslung, except via the
      installation of Optware packages.

      3/ Optware

      The Optware set of packages has seen the addition of even more new
      targets this year - we can build packages for 25 different
      configurations (cs04q3armel, cs05q3armel, cs06q3armel, cs07q3armel,
      ddwrt, ds101g, ds101j, ds101, dt2, fsg3, fsg3v4, gumstix1151, mssii,
      mss, nas100d, nslu2, oleg, openwrt-brcm24, openwrt-ixp4xx, slugosbe,
      slugosle, ts101, ts72xx, uclibc, wl500g), and the set of packages
      continues to grow and grow (it's now just over 1000 packages strong).

      A big thanks to Brian Zhou for continuing to execute the job of
      maintaining our Optware package feeds so well. Optware is certainly the
      most active, and the most downloaded part of the NSLU2-Linux project.

      4/ SlugOS

      SlugOS is the distribution based on OpenEmbedded, which completely
      replaces the vendor firmware with custom firmware and packages designed
      from the ground up for devices with limited memory and storage. SlugOS
      stable version 3.10 has over 16000 downloads so far (8000+ little
      endian, and 8000+ big endian), and we are currently in final alpha
      testing of SlugOS 4.8-beta, which includes the latest 2.6.21.7 kernel,
      the new open source ethernet driver, and Apex as a second stage bootloader.

      5/ Debian

      The NSLU2 continues to be a fully supported target for Debian (including
      Etch and Sid), and there have been over 13000 thousand downloads of the
      Debian/NSLU2 Installer image. Support for Debian on the NSLU2 is
      handled on the debian-arm mailing list and the #debian-arm IRC channel
      on OFTC.

      6/ OpenWRT

      As of the Kamikaze 7.x releases of OpenWrt, the NSLU2 is now a fully
      supported OpenWrt target, and has enjoyed over 2000 downloads already.
      Optware packages are also supported for OpenWrt on the NSLU2, so you get
      the best of both worlds with a distribution targetted for small-memory
      devices, and all the optware packages you know and love.

      7/ Infrastructure

      We purchased a new Web/SVN/Trac Server to replace our aging/ailing P4 1U
      Server at OSUOSL. The new server is shared with www.nas-central.org and
      is a dual X2 Opteron with 8GB RAM and 1.5TB RAID5 disk. We also
      purchased a new Autobuilder/Monotone Server to replace our aging/dead
      Athlon XP autobuilder. The replacement server is an Opteron X2 165 with
      4GB RAM and 320GB + 250GB RAID1 arrays. All this was done without
      needing a new donation campaign (i.e. through the trickle of donations
      that come in from time to time, and through xen instance based sharing
      arrangements with similar open source projects). Thanks to our
      nslu2-linux infrastructure team for continuing to provide a community
      infrastructure which is world-class.

      8/ Thanks

      I want to personally thank all the developers who contribute to our
      custom firmware and packages, all the people who write up pages for the
      wiki (or correct or update pages that are already there), all those who
      answer questions on the mailing lists or IRC channels, and all our users
      who have made this project so successful. It's a pleasure to have seen
      this project grow from myself and a couple of other guys on an IRC
      channel in July 2004, to the project as it is today.

      -- Rod Whitby
      -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead