noob running perl scripts from cron on the unslung -

  • phinas
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2007
      I am running the newest version of unslung with perl installed. I can
      run my simple script if I use the command perl simple.pl but if I try
      to run it by ./simple.pl it tells me that the command in not found. I
      have chmod'd it with a +x and even a 755 still doesn't work.

      The goal is to run this script from cron but haven't been able to get
      that working either. My guess is that I need to get the first problem
      fixed.

      If any body has any information or can guide me down the right path I
      would appreciate it. I have looked through the forums and couldn't
      seem to find the answer.

      Thank you in advance
    • Bob Cox
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2007
        In article <fjsrsc+i74n@...>,
        phinas <jim@...> wrote:

        > I am running the newest version of unslung with perl installed. I can
        > run my simple script if I use the command perl simple.pl but if I try
        > to run it by ./simple.pl it tells me that the command in not found. I
        > have chmod'd it with a +x and even a 755 still doesn't work.

        [snip]

        Do you have:

        #! /usr/bin/perl

        as the first line of simple.pl ?

        (assuming that /usr/bin/perl is your path to perl, of course).

        --
        Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK. http://pippin.co.uk/
        Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2007
          Bob,

          Thanks for the quick response. Yes I have #! /usr/bin/perl in the beginning
          of the script. When I go to that directory you see perl so I believe that is
          correct directory.

          Jim

          _____

          > I am running the newest version of unslung with perl installed. I can
          > run my simple script if I use the command perl simple.pl but if I try
          > to run it by ./simple.pl it tells me that the command in not found. I
          > have chmod'd it with a +x and even a 755 still doesn't work.

          [snip]

          Do you have:

          #! /usr/bin/perl

          as the first line of simple.pl ?

          (assuming that /usr/bin/perl is your path to perl, of course).

          --
          Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK. http://pippin.
          <http://pippin.co.uk/> co.uk/
          Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.
          <http://counter.li.org/> li.org/
          Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox. <http://bobcox.com/slug/> com/slug/

        • James Dougherty
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 14, 2007
            Bob,

            Am I correct to believe that I need to get my install to be able to execute
            from a ./ before I can make it a cron job?

            Thanks for the help,

            Jim

            _____

            > I am running the newest version of unslung with perl installed. I can
            > run my simple script if I use the command perl simple.pl but if I try
            > to run it by ./simple.pl it tells me that the command in not found. I
            > have chmod'd it with a +x and even a 755 still doesn't work.

            [snip]

            Do you have:

            #! /usr/bin/perl

            as the first line of simple.pl ?

            (assuming that /usr/bin/perl is your path to perl, of course).

            --
            Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK. http://pippin.
            <http://pippin.co.uk/> co.uk/
            Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.
            <http://counter.li.org/> li.org/
            Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox. <http://bobcox.com/slug/> com/slug/

          • John
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 14, 2007
              On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 06:42:18AM -0500, James Dougherty wrote:
              > Am I correct to believe that I need to get my install to be able to execute
              > from a ./ before I can make it a cron job?

              If you have perl simple.pl working that is enough. Just put
              /usr/bin/perl /path/to/simple.pl in as your cron command.

              By the way, for security, cron runs commands in a reduced
              environment. Even if your program runs from the command line you
              might still have problems if it makes assumptions about the path,
              the current directory, or other environmental issues.

              You might want to verify that /usr/bin/perl is really the right
              path to perl. Run 'which perl' from the command line to find the
              correct path.

              John
            • James Dougherty
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 14, 2007