Re: Can I use NSLU2 to send WOL to local PC from internet?

  • Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2007
      i believe so try this package out i think it will do the trick

      perl-wakeonlan i think you can run ipkg install perl-wakeonlan

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinyilde" <pinyilde@...> wrote:

      > My router does not support or provide for sending Wake On LAN (WOL)
      > packets to a local PC from the Internet so I'm wondering about the
      > feasibility of remoting into an NSLU2 and getting it to send the WOL
      > packet. Any suggestions on how this could be done?

    • neil_homan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
        ACTUALLY,
        the wiki link above merely lists the packages related to WOL.
        I've never installed it myself. But the command should be something like.

        ipkg update
        ipk install wakelan

        that's the SlugOS version anyways.

        again this is only if you flashed your firmware. If you haven't done
        this or haven't a clue what i'm talking about then you have a bit of
        reading to do !
        :-)

        It's easy enough and well worth it though.
        -N

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "neil_homan" <neilhoman@...> wrote:

        > Presuming your nslu2 is unslung or has some other non-linksys
        firmware.
        > If it's not you need to start reading the wiki at the bottom of this
        > post below.
        > In any case to get you goin in the right direction:
        > 1. To connect to nslu2 from the internet use ssh. Setup
        > port-forwarding on your router to forward traffic on port 22 to your
        > nslu2.
        >
        > 2.
        > Setup Wake On Lan support and see accompanying script at
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/WakeOnLAN
        >
        > You could also call this script from "cron" so that it is launched at
        > scheduled time
        >
        > Everything you need to know is on
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org
        > -Neil
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinyilde" <pinyilde@> wrote:
        > >
        > > My router does not support or provide for sending Wake On LAN (WOL)
        > > packets to a local PC from the Internet so I'm wondering about the
        > > feasibility of remoting into an NSLU2 and getting it to send the WOL
        > > packet. Any suggestions on how this could be done?

      • phinas
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
          One way that I did it was to install the php mod and run this script.

          <?php

          function WakeOnLan($mac)
          {

          // Create Magic Packet

          for($i=0;$i<6;$i++)
          $packet .= chr(255);

          $mac_byte = explode(':', $mac);

          for($i=0;$i<6;$i++)
          $mac_addr .= chr(hexdec($mac_byte[$i]));

          for($i=0;$i<16;$i++)
          $packet .= $mac_addr;

          // Set to UDP broadcast

          $sock = socket_create(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, SOL_UDP);
          socket_set_option($sock, SOL_SOCKET, SO_BROADCAST, TRUE);
          socket_sendto($sock, $packet, strlen($packet), 0, '255.255.255.255', 9);

          socket_close($sock);

          return;

          }

          WakeOnLan("00:00:B8:FF:AA:96");