Re: Can I use NSLU2 to send WOL to local PC from internet?

  • Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2007
      i believe so try this package out i think it will do the trick

      perl-wakeonlan i think you can run ipkg install perl-wakeonlan

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinyilde" <pinyilde@...> wrote:

      > My router does not support or provide for sending Wake On LAN (WOL)
      > packets to a local PC from the Internet so I'm wondering about the
      > feasibility of remoting into an NSLU2 and getting it to send the WOL
      > packet. Any suggestions on how this could be done?

    • neil_homan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
        Presuming your nslu2 is unslung or has some other non-linksys firmware.
        If it's not you need to start reading the wiki at the bottom of this
        post below.
        In any case to get you goin in the right direction:
        1. To connect to nslu2 from the internet use ssh. Setup
        port-forwarding on your router to forward traffic on port 22 to your
        nslu2.

        2.
        Setup Wake On Lan support and see accompanying script at
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/WakeOnLAN

        You could also call this script from "cron" so that it is launched at
        scheduled time

        Everything you need to know is on
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org
        -Neil

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
          ACTUALLY,
          the wiki link above merely lists the packages related to WOL.
          I've never installed it myself. But the command should be something like.

          ipkg update
          ipk install wakelan

          that's the SlugOS version anyways.

          again this is only if you flashed your firmware. If you haven't done
          this or haven't a clue what i'm talking about then you have a bit of
          reading to do !
          :-)

          It's easy enough and well worth it though.
          -N

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "neil_homan" <neilhoman@...> wrote:

          > Presuming your nslu2 is unslung or has some other non-linksys
          firmware.
          > If it's not you need to start reading the wiki at the bottom of this
          > post below.
          > In any case to get you goin in the right direction:
          > 1. To connect to nslu2 from the internet use ssh. Setup
          > port-forwarding on your router to forward traffic on port 22 to your
          > nslu2.
          >
          > 2.
          > Setup Wake On Lan support and see accompanying script at
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/WakeOnLAN
          >
          > You could also call this script from "cron" so that it is launched at
          > scheduled time
          >
          > Everything you need to know is on
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org
          > -Neil
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinyilde" <pinyilde@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My router does not support or provide for sending Wake On LAN (WOL)
          > > packets to a local PC from the Internet so I'm wondering about the
          > > feasibility of remoting into an NSLU2 and getting it to send the WOL
          > > packet. Any suggestions on how this could be done?

        • phinas
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
            One way that I did it was to install the php mod and run this script.

            <?php

            function WakeOnLan($mac)
            {

            // Create Magic Packet

            for($i=0;$i<6;$i++)
            $packet .= chr(255);

            $mac_byte = explode(':', $mac);

            for($i=0;$i<6;$i++)
            $mac_addr .= chr(hexdec($mac_byte[$i]));

            for($i=0;$i<16;$i++)
            $packet .= $mac_addr;

            // Set to UDP broadcast

            $sock = socket_create(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, SOL_UDP);
            socket_set_option($sock, SOL_SOCKET, SO_BROADCAST, TRUE);
            socket_sendto($sock, $packet, strlen($packet), 0, '255.255.255.255', 9);

            socket_close($sock);

            return;

            }

            WakeOnLan("00:00:B8:FF:AA:96");