Can I use NSLU2 to send WOL to local PC from internet?

  • pinyilde
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2007
      My router does not support or provide for sending Wake On LAN (WOL)
      packets to a local PC from the Internet so I'm wondering about the
      feasibility of remoting into an NSLU2 and getting it to send the WOL
      packet. Any suggestions on how this could be done?
    • Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2007
        i believe so try this package out i think it will do the trick

        perl-wakeonlan i think you can run ipkg install perl-wakeonlan

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinyilde" <pinyilde@...> wrote:

        > My router does not support or provide for sending Wake On LAN (WOL)
        > packets to a local PC from the Internet so I'm wondering about the
        > feasibility of remoting into an NSLU2 and getting it to send the WOL
        > packet. Any suggestions on how this could be done?

      • neil_homan
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
          Presuming your nslu2 is unslung or has some other non-linksys firmware.
          If it's not you need to start reading the wiki at the bottom of this
          post below.
          In any case to get you goin in the right direction:
          1. To connect to nslu2 from the internet use ssh. Setup
          port-forwarding on your router to forward traffic on port 22 to your
          nslu2.

          2.
          Setup Wake On Lan support and see accompanying script at
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/WakeOnLAN

          You could also call this script from "cron" so that it is launched at
          scheduled time

          Everything you need to know is on
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org
          -Neil

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
            ACTUALLY,
            the wiki link above merely lists the packages related to WOL.
            I've never installed it myself. But the command should be something like.

            ipkg update
            ipk install wakelan

            that's the SlugOS version anyways.

            again this is only if you flashed your firmware. If you haven't done
            this or haven't a clue what i'm talking about then you have a bit of
            reading to do !
            :-)

            It's easy enough and well worth it though.
            -N

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "neil_homan" <neilhoman@...> wrote:

            > Presuming your nslu2 is unslung or has some other non-linksys
            firmware.
            > If it's not you need to start reading the wiki at the bottom of this
            > post below.
            > In any case to get you goin in the right direction:
            > 1. To connect to nslu2 from the internet use ssh. Setup
            > port-forwarding on your router to forward traffic on port 22 to your
            > nslu2.
            >
            > 2.
            > Setup Wake On Lan support and see accompanying script at
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/WakeOnLAN
            >
            > You could also call this script from "cron" so that it is launched at
            > scheduled time
            >
            > Everything you need to know is on
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org
            > -Neil
            >
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pinyilde" <pinyilde@> wrote:
            > >
            > > My router does not support or provide for sending Wake On LAN (WOL)
            > > packets to a local PC from the Internet so I'm wondering about the
            > > feasibility of remoting into an NSLU2 and getting it to send the WOL
            > > packet. Any suggestions on how this could be done?

          • phinas
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
              One way that I did it was to install the php mod and run this script.

              <?php

              function WakeOnLan($mac)
              {

              // Create Magic Packet

              for($i=0;$i<6;$i++)
              $packet .= chr(255);

              $mac_byte = explode(':', $mac);

              for($i=0;$i<6;$i++)
              $mac_addr .= chr(hexdec($mac_byte[$i]));

              for($i=0;$i<16;$i++)
              $packet .= $mac_addr;

              // Set to UDP broadcast

              $sock = socket_create(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, SOL_UDP);
              socket_set_option($sock, SOL_SOCKET, SO_BROADCAST, TRUE);
              socket_sendto($sock, $packet, strlen($packet), 0, '255.255.255.255', 9);

              socket_close($sock);

              return;

              }

              WakeOnLan("00:00:B8:FF:AA:96");