Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Disk access every 5 seconds prevents spindown.

  • Carl Lowenstein
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 15, 2007
      On 11/15/07, Tomas Holmén <tomas.holmen@...> wrote:

      > I had the same problem, i solved it by unslung to a usb stick and
      > not the disk.
      >
      > rgrds Tomas
      >
      > On Nov 14, 2007 2:12 AM, tangbotu <tangbotu@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Could anyone PLEASE summarize the solution here? I'm struggling
      > > with this not-spinning-down problem. I have Unslung 6.8 unslung
      > > to a WD MyBook on port 2. This thread seems to suggest this
      > > problem is solvable but various processes are responsible for
      > > accessing the disk. What are these processes? How to clean them
      > > up neatly?

      Presumably the disk access is caused by the journaling ext3 file
      system, which refreshes its journal every 5 seconds by default. One
      possible solution would be to put the journal on another (flash)
      drive.

      You can do this with the -J option to tune2fs.

      carl

      --
      carl lowenstein
      marine physical lab, u.c. san diego