Network throughput...Samba vs. FTP

  • remote4177
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2007
      First, let me apologize in advance for my lack of Linux knowledge.
      I'm posting because I'm seeing a discrepancy in network speed between
      SMB transfers and FTP transfers. When I move files (read or write)
      between my client pc's (all running windows vista) and the slug via
      SMB, my 100 megabit network utilization averages somewhere around 40 –
      47%. When performing the same transfers via FTP the network
      utilization averages around 65 – 70%.

      Is this performance normal? Are there certain steps I can take to
      configure Samba on the slug (or on my windows PC's) to make SMB
      throughput similar to that of FTP?

      My slug is configured as follows:
      Running Unslung 6.8
      One 250GB fantom drive
      Overclocking HowTo completed
      Installed OpenSSH package
      Installed Cups as described in the AddPrinter HowTo (although
      printer is not currently connected).
      The slug is plugged into a 10/100 netgear switch as are the
      client pc's.