Re: Disk access every 5 seconds prevents spindown.

  • tangbotu
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 13, 2007
      Could anyone PLEASE summarize the solution here? I'm struggling with
      this not-spinning-down problem. I have Unslung 6.8 unslung to a WD
      MyBook on port 2. This thread seems to suggest this problem is solvable
      but various processes are responsible for accessing the disk. What are
      these processes? How to clean them up neatly?
    • Carl Lowenstein
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 15, 2007
        On 11/15/07, Tomas Holmén <tomas.holmen@...> wrote:

        > I had the same problem, i solved it by unslung to a usb stick and
        > not the disk.
        >
        > rgrds Tomas
        >
        > On Nov 14, 2007 2:12 AM, tangbotu <tangbotu@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Could anyone PLEASE summarize the solution here? I'm struggling
        > > with this not-spinning-down problem. I have Unslung 6.8 unslung
        > > to a WD MyBook on port 2. This thread seems to suggest this
        > > problem is solvable but various processes are responsible for
        > > accessing the disk. What are these processes? How to clean them
        > > up neatly?

        Presumably the disk access is caused by the journaling ext3 file
        system, which refreshes its journal every 5 seconds by default. One
        possible solution would be to put the journal on another (flash)
        drive.

        You can do this with the -J option to tune2fs.

        carl

        --
        carl lowenstein
        marine physical lab, u.c. san diego