FSCK problem

  • mackowiakp
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
      During running find utility on NSLU2 I got an error. I try to run
      manualny fsck from UNSLUNG console. There is result of fsck errors:

      -bash-3.2# find / -name Thumbs.db -print
      find: Filesystem loop detected; `/share/hdd/data' has the same device
      number and inode as a directory which is 3 levels higher in the
      filesystem hierarchy.
      -bash-3.2# fsck.ext3
      Segmentation fault
      -bash-3.2# df
      Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
      rootfs 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /
      /dev/sdb1 6528 6336 192 97% /initrd
      /dev/sdb1 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /
      /dev/sdb1 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /var.state
      /dev/sdb1 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /opt/var.state
      /dev/sdb1 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /share/hdd/data
      /dev/sdb2 116661 4155 111302 4% /share/hdd/conf

      What is wrong? How can I resolve the problem?
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
        On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 11:11 +0000, mackowiakp wrote:

        > During running find utility on NSLU2 I got an error. I try to run
        > manualny fsck from UNSLUNG console. There is result of fsck errors:
        >
        > -bash-3.2# find / -name Thumbs.db -print
        > find: Filesystem loop detected; `/share/hdd/data' has the same device
        > number and inode as a directory which is 3 levels higher in the
        > filesystem hierarchy.

        This really is one of those things where unslung does strange things.

        The linksys software requires that the disk is mounted as
        "/share/hdd/data" but we also use it as root disk so it's also
        mounted as "/".

        > -bash-3.2# fsck.ext3
        > Segmentation fault

        Did you try "fsck.ext3 -nf /dev/sdb1"?

        NOTE 1:
        The "-fn" is for forcing it to run on a mounted filesystem
        with the "no change" option.
        Never run fsck on a mounted filesystem and correct the errors
        because after the next buffer sync from your os the filesystem
        is corrupt and probably can't be repaired.

        NOTE 2:
        And yes fsck shouldn't crash if you don't give the correct
        options so it's still a bug.

        https://trac.nslu2-linux.org/unslung/ticket/10

        --
        marceln
      • Piotr Mackowiak
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2007
          THX. So I will wait for bug fixing

          _____

          https://trac. <https://trac.nslu2-linux.org/unslung/ticket/10>

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
            So how can I FSCK filesystem? I mean about cron based routine to
            periodically run FSCK on whole HDD attached to USB port. Can anybody help
            me?

            _____