Re: [nslu2-general] Re: NSLU2 hardware damaged.

  • Johnni Friis
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 24, 2007
      Hi Neil,

      I have opened my slug now (need to unsolder the RAM chips and put new ones),
      and I looked at C119, its placement and connection together with other capacitors makes me think of it, as a decoupling capacitor.

      The board development I have been involved in, we have used values between 1 nF (nano farad) and 1 uF (micro farad), typical 100 nF, maybe you can use this info to something.
      I would stick to my first statement, the board *should* work, event if 20% of the decaps are missing. When you design a board, always go with a safy margin.

      If you insist of soldering a cap on to C119, the I would ask linksys about the value.

      >>Schematics wise, i had a look through these
      >>http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/LinksToHardwareComponentDocumentation
      >>(all greek to me!)
      This is a description (datasheets) of the components used to build the slug. Not the schematic of the slug!

      Johnni

      neil_homan <neilhoman@...> wrote:
      HI Johnni.
      I am about to try the board again to see can i get at redboot via the
      reset button - had no luck last time. I have debian on there so not
      sure of the lights maybe that's the problem.

      You can find c119 on the following hires photo of an undamaged board
      (save you opening your own.)

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/uploads/NSLU2-board-rear-hires.jpg

      Schematics wise, i had a look through these
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/LinksToHardwareComponentDocumentation
      (all greek to me!)

      Fingers crossed it is a decapacitor (whatever they are).

      Thanks again.
      -Neil

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Johnni Friis <mail_johnni@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Niel,
      >
      > It looks like you only took a part of C119 of the board, and the
      board it self is not damaged.
      > As you say, the pics arent very clear.
      >
      > My slug is at the office, I'll change the RAM IC to bigger ones...
      >
      > I'll look at my slug board tomorrow and try to find out what C119
      is doing.

      > Just reading you 1st post again, your slug is not working, so I'll
      assume C119 is not a decap! Or something more is broken.

      > Have you tried to ask linksys about the value for C119 ?
      >
      > Does any one have a schematic of the slug ?
      >

      > Johnni
      >

      > neil_homan <neilhoman@...> wrote:
      > Hi John,
      > Sorry about the delay in getting back.
      > Ended up using phone as a camera so sorry the results aren't too clear.
      > Results are in the "Photos\Miscellaneous too!" section.
      >
      > Hopefully these links work, make sure to view large version:

      > Do you reckon that it should work without it (C119)?
      >
      > Havent been able to get to upgrade mode using reset but lights, as i
      > mentioned, are on.
      >
      > Thanks for your help guys.
      >
      > -Neil
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Johnni Friis <mail_johnni@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > If it is a decoupling capasitor, the board *will* work without it,
      > the question is if the board it self is damaged too.
      > >
      > > Can you post a pic of the damaged board too ?
      > >

      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Johnni
      > > B. Sc. E.E
      > >

      > > Frank Reijn <fnijer@> wrote:
      > > Neil,
      > >
      > > For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!
      > >
      > > You will remember these words when you come back home and found the
      > NSLU2 has stopped just as you expected an important file or action
      > from it :-(
      > >
      > > My � 0.02
      > >
      > > Frank
      > >
      > > Carl Lowenstein <clowenstein@> wrote: On 10/12/07, Peter Chant
      > <pete@> wrote:

      > > > <snip>

      > > > Could not see the picture. How on earth did you damage it? Yes
      > C119 ought to
      > > > be a capacitor from the C designation, but they are reasonably
      robust
      > > > provided you don't do bad things to them (excessive voltage or
      reverse
      > > > voltage with electrolytics).
      > >
      > > I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
      > > circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.
      > >
      > > I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal 65536 by a
      > > screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken
      > > bit.
      > >
      > > carl
      > > --
      > > carl lowenstein
      > > marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
      > > clowenstein@

    • Stanley P. Miller
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 24, 2007
        It might be worth trying to remove the entire cap from the board, it
        might be causing a short due to the damage which could be causing the
        problem.

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > > B. Sc. E.E
        > > >

        > > > Frank Reijn <fnijer@> wrote:
        > > > Neil,
        > > >
        > > > For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!
        > > >
        > > > You will remember these words when you come back home and found the
        > > NSLU2 has stopped just as you expected an important file or action
        > > from it :-(
        > > >
        > > > My � 0.02
        > > >
        > > > Frank
        > > >
        > > > Carl Lowenstein <clowenstein@> wrote: On 10/12/07, Peter Chant

        > > C119 ought to
        > robust
        > reverse
        > > >
        > > > I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
        > > > circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.
        > > >
        > > > I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal
        65536 by a
        > > > screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken

      • neil_homan
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 25, 2007
          I tried to get to reset mode but failed. But i cleaned the area around
          where it was removed and tried again and it worked - flashed openwrt.
          To be honest i think i was just luckier the second time around.
          It must have been a decoupling capacitor as Johnni suggested - luckily
          for me.

          Thanks to all for help and hope these posts help others with similar
          problems.

          Thanks guys,
          -Neil
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Stanley P. Miller"