Pros & Cons

  • billwright26
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2007
      I am thinking of purchasing a NSLU2 device, does it work well?

      Thanks, Bill
    • Sean Gibbins
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2007
        billwright26 wrote:

        > I am thinking of purchasing a NSLU2 device, does it work well?

        Hi Bill,

        As an air conditioning unit? No...

        Sorry about that Bill - couldn't help myself! :-)

        Actually, that's not as daft or sarcastic as it sounds, as there are
        numerous ways you can use them and your requirements will dictate as to
        whether a Slug is likely to be the best solution. In my case, as a
        low-cost, low-power replacement for a PC that was generating a lot of
        noise and heat to serve up the odd file and print for my household, it
        was ideal.

        It also streams mp3s for my kids now, and in this regard it is a little
        slower than I would like in terms of loading the initial pages for
        gnump3d. However, as this is above and beyond its primary function (i.e.
        a print server) I am happy to accept that.

        Sean
      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2007
          On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 03:04:13PM +0100, Sean Gibbins wrote:
          > As an air conditioning unit? No...
          >
          > Sorry about that Bill - couldn't help myself! :-)

          But, add an X10 interface and the slug could control home
          appliances such as the air conditioner.

          You are right, of course, that a slug can't do everything: As
          far as I know, there is no X10 interface to a kitchen sink.

          John

          P.S. For non-native English speakers seeking an explanation of
          an irrational idiom, see:
          http://goenglish.com/EverythingButTheKitchenSink.asp
        • Frank Reijn
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2007
            Bill,

            it is my :

            - file server
            - ftp server
            - printer server
            - tftp server
            - asterisk server.

            Do I need to write more ? :-)

            billwright26 <wwright2@...> wrote: I am thinking of purchasing a NSLU2 device, does it work well?

            Thanks, Bill

            __________|__________
            \ \_^_/ /
            __\___{_+_}___/__
            :/ \:

            Regards,

            Frank

            Global Operations Director

          • Sean Gibbins
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 22, 2007
              John wrote:

              > On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 03:04:13PM +0100, Sean Gibbins wrote:
              > > As an air conditioning unit? No...
              > >
              > > Sorry about that Bill - couldn't help myself! :-)
              >
              > But, add an X10 interface and the slug could control home
              > appliances such as the air conditioner.

              Excellent! Close enough for me to stand corrected!

              :o)

              Sean
            • tabrez akhatr
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
                hi frank who are you ?
                u was sed mail to me for file server stp server pls if you have good information about server than send to me because i want to complite the ccna and ccnp i have sone book but its not good for the basick knowlege please if u have any book for start knowledge about server pls send me
                i will waiting for ur answer pls quick and good answer pls
                bye bye and tc