FSCK problem

  • mackowiakp
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
      I use NSLU2 with UNSLUNG 6.8 version of firmware. I try to run FSCK
      both scheduled from WEB interface or by manual editing of crontab
      file. I moved /dev and /var subdirs because of neceserity to spindown
      HDD attached to USB port. Additionally "noatime" option was use during
      remounting of filesystems because of the same reason.
      At desired time, FSCK try to start but result is "Disk 2: Scandisk
      failed". HDD is connected to first USB port. The conternet of crontab
      file is:
      9 0 * * 4 root /usr/sbin/hwclock -s &>/dev/null
      30 5 * * 3 root /sbin/reboot
      20 8 * * 4 root /usr/sbin/DO_ScanDisk /dev/sdb1 &>/dev/null

      What I am doing wrong? Whot the problem is? Can anybody help me?
    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2007
        On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 09:39:37PM -0000, mackowiakp wrote:
        > I use NSLU2 with UNSLUNG 6.8 version of firmware. I try to run FSCK
        > both scheduled from WEB interface or by manual editing of crontab

        Linksys's do_scandisk/web interface is known to have problems.
        Have a look at:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors
      • mackowiakp
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
          During running find utility on NSLU2 I got an error. I try to run
          manualny fsck from UNSLUNG console. There is result of fsck errors:

          -bash-3.2# find / -name Thumbs.db -print
          find: Filesystem loop detected; `/share/hdd/data' has the same device
          number and inode as a directory which is 3 levels higher in the
          filesystem hierarchy.
          -bash-3.2# fsck.ext3
          Segmentation fault
          -bash-3.2# df
          Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
          rootfs 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /
          /dev/sdb1 6528 6336 192 97% /initrd
          /dev/sdb1 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /
          /dev/sdb1 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /var.state
          /dev/sdb1 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /opt/var.state
          /dev/sdb1 480482192 229922444 245678320 48% /share/hdd/data
          /dev/sdb2 116661 4155 111302 4% /share/hdd/conf

          What is wrong? How can I resolve the problem?
        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
            On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 11:11 +0000, mackowiakp wrote:

            > During running find utility on NSLU2 I got an error. I try to run
            > manualny fsck from UNSLUNG console. There is result of fsck errors:
            >
            > -bash-3.2# find / -name Thumbs.db -print
            > find: Filesystem loop detected; `/share/hdd/data' has the same device
            > number and inode as a directory which is 3 levels higher in the
            > filesystem hierarchy.

            This really is one of those things where unslung does strange things.

            The linksys software requires that the disk is mounted as
            "/share/hdd/data" but we also use it as root disk so it's also
            mounted as "/".

            > -bash-3.2# fsck.ext3
            > Segmentation fault

            Did you try "fsck.ext3 -nf /dev/sdb1"?

            NOTE 1:
            The "-fn" is for forcing it to run on a mounted filesystem
            with the "no change" option.
            Never run fsck on a mounted filesystem and correct the errors
            because after the next buffer sync from your os the filesystem
            is corrupt and probably can't be repaired.

            NOTE 2:
            And yes fsck shouldn't crash if you don't give the correct
            options so it's still a bug.

            https://trac.nslu2-linux.org/unslung/ticket/10

            --
            marceln
          • Piotr Mackowiak
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2007
              THX. So I will wait for bug fixing

              _____

              https://trac. <https://trac.nslu2-linux.org/unslung/ticket/10>

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
                So how can I FSCK filesystem? I mean about cron based routine to
                periodically run FSCK on whole HDD attached to USB port. Can anybody help
                me?

                _____