Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 hardware damaged.

  • Carl Lowenstein
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 12, 2007
      On 10/12/07, Peter Chant <pete@...> wrote:

      > On Friday 12 October 2007, neil_homan wrote:
      > > Hi All,
      > > I have got hold of another NSLU2, and damaged the hardware.
      >
      > <snip>
      >
      > > What is C119 (from diagram)? (I presume it is a capacitor?)
      >
      > Could not see the picture. How on earth did you damage it? Yes C119 ought to
      > be a capacitor from the C designation, but they are reasonably robust
      > provided you don't do bad things to them (excessive voltage or reverse
      > voltage with electrolytics).

      I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
      circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.

      I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal 65536 by a
      screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken
      bit.

      carl
      --
      carl lowenstein
      marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 13, 2007
        Neil,

        For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!

        You will remember these words when you come back home and found the NSLU2 has stopped just as you expected an important file or action from it :-(

        My € 0.02

        Frank

        Carl Lowenstein <clowenstein@...> wrote: On 10/12/07, Peter Chant <pete@...> wrote:

        > On Friday 12 October 2007, neil_homan wrote:
        > > Hi All,
        > > I have got hold of another NSLU2, and damaged the hardware.
        >
        > <snip>
        >
        > > What is C119 (from diagram)? (I presume it is a capacitor?)
        >
        > Could not see the picture. How on earth did you damage it? Yes C119 ought to
        > be a capacitor from the C designation, but they are reasonably robust
        > provided you don't do bad things to them (excessive voltage or reverse
        > voltage with electrolytics).

        I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
        circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.

        I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal 65536 by a
        screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken
        bit.

        carl
        --
        carl lowenstein
        marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
        clowenstein@...

      • Johnni Friis
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 13, 2007

          If it is a decoupling capasitor, the board *will* work without it, the question is if the board it self is damaged too.

          Can you post a pic of the damaged board too ?

          Regards,

          Johnni
          B. Sc. E.E

          Frank Reijn <fnijer@...> wrote:
          Neil,

          For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!

          You will remember these words when you come back home and found the NSLU2 has stopped just as you expected an important file or action from it :-(

          My € 0.02

          Frank

          Carl Lowenstein <clowenstein@...> wrote: On 10/12/07, Peter Chant <pete@...> wrote:

          > On Friday 12 October 2007, neil_homan wrote:
          > > Hi All,
          > > I have got hold of another NSLU2, and damaged the hardware.
          >
          > <snip>
          >
          > > What is C119 (from diagram)? (I presume it is a capacitor?)
          >
          > Could not see the picture. How on earth did you damage it? Yes C119 ought to
          > be a capacitor from the C designation, but they are reasonably robust
          > provided you don't do bad things to them (excessive voltage or reverse
          > voltage with electrolytics).

          I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
          circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.

          I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal 65536 by a
          screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken
          bit.

          carl
          --
          carl lowenstein
          marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
          clowenstein@...

        • Rob Lockhart
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 13, 2007
            Subject: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 hardware damaged.
            Date: Fri, October 12, 2007 10:28
            From: "neil_homan"

            > Hi All,
            > I have got hold of another NSLU2, and damaged the hardware.
            >
            > Not being electronics savy at all, I wonder if someone can help me
            > with the following? Please see enclosed url for picture (in the
            > Photos/Miscellaneous Section).
            >
            > Note it just shows the location of my
            > broken component. Unit powers + lights but does effectively nothing.

            > What is C119 (from diagram)? (I presume it is a capacitor?)
            > Can this board be fixed? Granted it will be a tricky solder but I
            > simply have to give it a go.
            > Anyone know where i might get a suitable replacement for the
            > component?

            Yes, it appears to be a capacitor (thus the "C" in the reference
            designation). If that was the only component damaged, I would be quite
            surprised. I suspect that if you look at it closely under a microscope,
            you might have more damage than that. Sorry for my pessimism, but I've
            seen this kind of damage before from dropped PCBs.

            If you want to attempt to resurrect the NSLU2, I would first determine if
            the PCB is salvageable. That means, assuming the component was ripped off
            the board, are the traces in-tact? And if so, can you scrape away at the
            traces to remove the protective coating so that you can make up the old
            trace with either 30-gauge wire or solder. If not, you might be able to
            use the vias, but this is nearly impossible without SMT (surface mount
            technology) soldering tools and a good microscope.

            Next, you need to determine the correct component value. The easiest way
            to do this would be to take a known, good board and, under a microscope,
            heat both sides of the component with a very fine-tipped soldering iron.
            You only need to remove one side of the capacitor from the PCB. Then,
            with a special DVM that measures capacitance (Radio Shack sells them), see
            if you can determine the value. You'll just have to hope that the ESR
            value isn't too important, and that the voltage rating should be greater
            than 5V but less than 25V (just to be safe). After you determine the
            approximate capacitor value, you'll have to see if you can order one that
            is close enough in value on either DigiKey ( http://www.digikey.com search
            "SMT capacitor") or Mouser Electronics http://www.mouser.com/passives/
            on-line.

            After you order the replacement, your next step would be to get some SMT
            tools like a soldering iron and narrow/fine tips, flux, solder, solder
            sponge, a very small tweezer, an X-acto knife, and a microscope.
            Presuming the board is salvageable, your next step is to bridge together
            the traces to the new component via solder and 30ga wire (if it's a long
            trace to the via). I didn't look too carefully at your picture, as what I
            am describing can be used for general PCB repair. You'll need to use wire
            if the pads are ripped off the board and more than a few millimeters of
            the trace have also been ripped off. You'll need to determine where the
            traces went, and where the trace broke off on the PCB. At that point, I
            would scrape back a few mm's of the protective coating down to the copper
            (until it's shiny). Don't scrape off too much of the copper, as it's not
            too thick; just enough to be able to adhere solder. Do this on both sides
            of the part's leads.

            Then, apply some flux to the copper, then clean the tip with the sponge
            with a twisting motion, and then heat the PCB with the tip, and try to
            touch the solder to the PCB trace at an adjacent location. The goal here
            is to get solder on the trace, and not on the soldering iron tip, without
            heating the trace too much as to make it come off the PCB (this will
            happen so limit your time to a few seconds in heating the trace). Once
            you have solder on the trace, then you'll need to either join the trace
            solder to the wire or to the component lead (depending on the length
            needed). The best way to do this is by applying solder to both ends
            separately and then heating them up together to bridge their solder.

            Note that if you have to use 30ga wire because of having to bridge more
            than a few mm's of trace broken off, then I would recommend cutting off
            the 30ga wire, then using tweezers to solder to the trace. For capacitors
            and resistors (not leaded parts), I usually cut the trace a little longer
            by about a few mm's, then slightly bend the wire that would be soldered to
            the component. I would also use some (sparingly) epoxy or Superglue on
            the sides of the component and exposed traces AFTER you determine that
            your fixes work. This is to protect your rework.

            I'm sure there are some better guides out there on soldering and PCB
            repair techniques, but I hope this is enough to get you started.

            Good luck!
            -Rob
          • Neil Homan
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 14, 2007
              Thanks for your replies. I actually damaged it opening the case. I had
              already done the de-underclock and was opening again to see about connecting
              a serial port. Just wasn't careful about opening... applied too much
              pressure, pulled apart too fast and caught c119 somehow.

              Granted i got what i deserved... But seems a shame to throw it in the bin
              after just getting it.

            • Neil Homan
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 14, 2007
                Thanks Rob.
                Much appreciated...

                I was hoping that someone might know the capacitor value from repairing a
                board already?

                Its the only i'd like to be sure about before continuing. I have looked
                through the reference docs online for the board itself (probably a worthless
                enough exercise). But as far as i can tell the info isn't there.

                The traces look ok (I haven't got a microscope) so i will give it a bash.
                But really could do with verifying the capacitor type used.

                Even a best guess. (I'm not gonna test my other slugs working board - that
                would be suicide - I've already proven i'm out of my depth with this
                electronics stuff. but will have a stab at fixing - nothing to lose at this
                point)

                Again Rob thanks for your time and help.
                -Neil

              • Peter Chant
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 14, 2007
                  On Saturday 13 October 2007, Frank Reijn wrote:
                  > Neil,
                  >
                  > For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!

                  Interestingly they don't seem to be getting cheaper in the UK but are harder
                  to find.

                  Not sure if this means anything.

                  Pete

                  --
                  Peter Chant
                  http://www.petezilla.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 14, 2007
                    Hi Pete,

                    Shall we setup our own webshop for the UK ;-)

                    http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/92711/Linksys-NSLU2-(1x-100Mbps-2x-USB-2.0)-prijzen.html

                    The green in the front of the link is the amount they have in Stock the price has dropped from € 99,= !
                    Not sure if they do international .....

                    Cheers,

                    Frank

                    Peter Chant <pete@...> wrote: On Saturday 13 October 2007, Frank Reijn wrote:
                    > Neil,
                    >
                    > For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!

                    Interestingly they don't seem to be getting cheaper in the UK but are harder
                    to find.

                    Not sure if this means anything.

                    Pete

                    --
                    Peter Chant
                    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

                    __________|__________
                    \ \_^_/ /
                    __\___{_+_}___/__
                    :/ \:

                    Regards,

                    Frank

                    Global Operations Director

                  • Sean Gibbins
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 14, 2007
                      Frank Reijn wrote:

                      > Hi Pete,
                      >
                      > Shall we setup our own webshop for the UK ;-)
                      >
                      > http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/92711/Linksys-NSLU2-
                      > <http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/92711/Linksys-NSLU2->(1x-100Mbps-2x-USB-2.0)-prijzen.html
                      >
                      > The green in the front of the link is the amount they have in Stock
                      > the price has dropped from € 99,= !
                      > Not sure if they do international .....

                      *amazon's uk price is £53.26 or *€*76.51:

                      ** http://tinyurl.com/2ptgqf

                      ebuyer weighs in exactly the same:

                      ** http://tinyurl.com/34xyw9

                      Dabs'll do it for a penny cheaper but don't do free delivery, so I'll
                      not bother with a link! eBuyer and Amazon certainly do, however, do free
                      delivery for the 'patient' customer. I bought mine from eBuyer IIRC.
                      **
                      Sean
                      *
                    • Sean Gibbins
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 14, 2007
                        Sean Gibbins wrote:
                        > *amazon's uk price is £53.26 or *€*76.51:
                        >
                        > ** http://tinyurl.com/2ptgqf
                        >
                        > ebuyer weighs in exactly the same:
                        >
                        > ** http://tinyurl.com/34xyw9
                        >
                        > Dabs'll do it for a penny cheaper but don't do free delivery, so I'll
                        > not bother with a link! eBuyer and Amazon certainly do, however, do free
                        > delivery for the 'patient' customer. I bought mine from eBuyer IIRC.
                        > **
                        > Sean

                        Bah!

                        Not sure where all those crappy *s came from - my apologies, as they
                        were nothing (intentional) to do with me!

                        Sean
                      • neil_homan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 22, 2007
                          Hi John,
                          Sorry about the delay in getting back.
                          Ended up using phone as a camera so sorry the results aren't too clear.
                          Results are in the "Photos\Miscellaneous too!" section.

                          Hopefully these links work, make sure to view large version:

                          Do you reckon that it should work without it (C119)?

                          Havent been able to get to upgrade mode using reset but lights, as i
                          mentioned, are on.

                          Thanks for your help guys.

                          -Neil

                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Johnni Friis <mail_johnni@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > If it is a decoupling capasitor, the board *will* work without it,
                          the question is if the board it self is damaged too.

                          > Can you post a pic of the damaged board too ?
                          >

                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Johnni
                          > B. Sc. E.E
                          >

                          > Frank Reijn <fnijer@...> wrote:
                          > Neil,
                          >
                          > For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!
                          >
                          > You will remember these words when you come back home and found the
                          NSLU2 has stopped just as you expected an important file or action
                          from it :-(

                          > My � 0.02
                          >
                          > Frank
                          >
                          > Carl Lowenstein <clowenstein@...> wrote: On 10/12/07, Peter Chant
                          <pete@...> wrote:

                          > > On Friday 12 October 2007, neil_homan wrote:
                          > > > Hi All,
                          > > > I have got hold of another NSLU2, and damaged the hardware.
                          > >
                          > > <snip>
                          > >
                          > > > What is C119 (from diagram)? (I presume it is a capacitor?)
                          > >
                          > > Could not see the picture. How on earth did you damage it? Yes
                          C119 ought to
                          > > be a capacitor from the C designation, but they are reasonably robust
                          > > provided you don't do bad things to them (excessive voltage or reverse
                          > > voltage with electrolytics).
                          >
                          > I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
                          > circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.
                          >
                          > I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal 65536 by a
                          > screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken
                          > bit.
                          >
                          > carl
                          > --
                          > carl lowenstein
                          > marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
                          > clowenstein@...

                        • Johnni Friis
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 23, 2007
                            Hi Niel,

                            It looks like you only took a part of C119 of the board, and the board it self is not damaged.
                            As you say, the pics arent very clear.

                            My slug is at the office, I'll change the RAM IC to bigger ones...

                            I'll look at my slug board tomorrow and try to find out what C119 is doing.

                            Just reading you 1st post again, your slug is not working, so I'll assume C119 is not a decap! Or something more is broken.

                            Have you tried to ask linksys about the value for C119 ?

                            Does any one have a schematic of the slug ?

                            Johnni

                            wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > If it is a decoupling capasitor, the board *will* work without it,
                            the question is if the board it self is damaged too.

                            > Can you post a pic of the damaged board too ?
                            >

                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Johnni
                            > B. Sc. E.E
                            >

                            > Frank Reijn <fnijer@...> wrote:
                            > Neil,
                            >
                            > For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!
                            >
                            > You will remember these words when you come back home and found the
                            NSLU2 has stopped just as you expected an important file or action
                            from it :-(

                            > My � 0.02
                            >
                            > Frank
                            >
                            > Carl Lowenstein <clowenstein@...> wrote: On 10/12/07, Peter Chant
                            <pete@...> wrote:

                            > > On Friday 12 October 2007, neil_homan wrote:
                            > > > Hi All,
                            > > > I have got hold of another NSLU2, and damaged the hardware.
                            > >
                            > > <snip>
                            > >
                            > > > What is C119 (from diagram)? (I presume it is a capacitor?)
                            > >
                            > > Could not see the picture. How on earth did you damage it? Yes
                            C119 ought to
                            > > be a capacitor from the C designation, but they are reasonably robust
                            > > provided you don't do bad things to them (excessive voltage or reverse
                            > > voltage with electrolytics).
                            >
                            > I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
                            > circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.
                            >
                            > I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal 65536 by a
                            > screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken
                            > bit.
                            >
                            > carl
                            > --
                            > carl lowenstein
                            > marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
                            > clowenstein@...

                          • neil_homan
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 23, 2007
                              HI Johnni.
                              I am about to try the board again to see can i get at redboot via the
                              reset button - had no luck last time. I have debian on there so not
                              sure of the lights maybe that's the problem.

                              You can find c119 on the following hires photo of an undamaged board
                              (save you opening your own.)

                              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/uploads/NSLU2-board-rear-hires.jpg

                              Schematics wise, i had a look through these
                              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/LinksToHardwareComponentDocumentation
                              (all greek to me!)

                              Fingers crossed it is a decapacitor (whatever they are).

                              Thanks again.

                              wrote:

                              > Hi Niel,
                              >
                              > It looks like you only took a part of C119 of the board, and the
                              board it self is not damaged.
                              > As you say, the pics arent very clear.
                              >
                              > My slug is at the office, I'll change the RAM IC to bigger ones...
                              >
                              > I'll look at my slug board tomorrow and try to find out what C119
                              is doing.

                              > Just reading you 1st post again, your slug is not working, so I'll
                              assume C119 is not a decap! Or something more is broken.

                              > Have you tried to ask linksys about the value for C119 ?
                              >
                              > Does any one have a schematic of the slug ?
                              >

                              > Johnni
                              >

                              > neil_homan <neilhoman@...> wrote:
                              > Hi John,
                              > Sorry about the delay in getting back.
                              > Ended up using phone as a camera so sorry the results aren't too clear.
                              > Results are in the "Photos\Miscellaneous too!" section.
                              >
                              > Hopefully these links work, make sure to view large version:

                              > Do you reckon that it should work without it (C119)?
                              >
                              > Havent been able to get to upgrade mode using reset but lights, as i
                              > mentioned, are on.
                              >
                              > Thanks for your help guys.
                              >
                              > -Neil
                              >
                              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Johnni Friis <mail_johnni@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi,
                              > >
                              > > If it is a decoupling capasitor, the board *will* work without it,
                              > the question is if the board it self is damaged too.
                              > >
                              > > Can you post a pic of the damaged board too ?
                              > >

                              > > Regards,
                              > >
                              > > Johnni
                              > > B. Sc. E.E
                              > >

                              > > Frank Reijn <fnijer@> wrote:
                              > > Neil,
                              > >
                              > > For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!
                              > >
                              > > You will remember these words when you come back home and found the
                              > NSLU2 has stopped just as you expected an important file or action
                              > from it :-(
                              > >
                              > > My � 0.02
                              > >
                              > > Frank
                              > >
                              > > Carl Lowenstein <clowenstein@> wrote: On 10/12/07, Peter Chant
                              > <pete@> wrote:

                              > > > <snip>

                              > > > Could not see the picture. How on earth did you damage it? Yes
                              > C119 ought to
                              > > > be a capacitor from the C designation, but they are reasonably
                              robust
                              > > > provided you don't do bad things to them (excessive voltage or
                              reverse
                              > > > voltage with electrolytics).
                              > >
                              > > I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
                              > > circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.
                              > >
                              > > I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal 65536 by a
                              > > screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken
                              > > bit.
                              > >
                              > > carl
                              > > --
                              > > carl lowenstein
                              > > marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
                              > > clowenstein@

                            • Johnni Friis
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 24, 2007
                                Hi Neil,

                                I have opened my slug now (need to unsolder the RAM chips and put new ones),
                                and I looked at C119, its placement and connection together with other capacitors makes me think of it, as a decoupling capacitor.

                                The board development I have been involved in, we have used values between 1 nF (nano farad) and 1 uF (micro farad), typical 100 nF, maybe you can use this info to something.
                                I would stick to my first statement, the board *should* work, event if 20% of the decaps are missing. When you design a board, always go with a safy margin.

                                If you insist of soldering a cap on to C119, the I would ask linksys about the value.

                                >>Schematics wise, i had a look through these
                                >>http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/LinksToHardwareComponentDocumentation
                                >>(all greek to me!)
                                This is a description (datasheets) of the components used to build the slug. Not the schematic of the slug!

                                Johnni

                                wrote:

                                > Hi Niel,
                                >
                                > It looks like you only took a part of C119 of the board, and the
                                board it self is not damaged.
                                > As you say, the pics arent very clear.
                                >
                                > My slug is at the office, I'll change the RAM IC to bigger ones...
                                >
                                > I'll look at my slug board tomorrow and try to find out what C119
                                is doing.

                                > Just reading you 1st post again, your slug is not working, so I'll
                                assume C119 is not a decap! Or something more is broken.

                                > Have you tried to ask linksys about the value for C119 ?
                                >
                                > Does any one have a schematic of the slug ?
                                >

                                > Johnni
                                >

                                > neil_homan <neilhoman@...> wrote:
                                > Hi John,
                                > Sorry about the delay in getting back.
                                > Ended up using phone as a camera so sorry the results aren't too clear.
                                > Results are in the "Photos\Miscellaneous too!" section.
                                >
                                > Hopefully these links work, make sure to view large version:

                                > Do you reckon that it should work without it (C119)?
                                >
                                > Havent been able to get to upgrade mode using reset but lights, as i
                                > mentioned, are on.
                                >
                                > Thanks for your help guys.
                                >
                                > -Neil
                                >
                                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Johnni Friis <mail_johnni@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi,
                                > >
                                > > If it is a decoupling capasitor, the board *will* work without it,
                                > the question is if the board it self is damaged too.
                                > >
                                > > Can you post a pic of the damaged board too ?
                                > >

                                > > Regards,
                                > >
                                > > Johnni
                                > > B. Sc. E.E
                                > >

                                > > Frank Reijn <fnijer@> wrote:
                                > > Neil,
                                > >
                                > > For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!
                                > >
                                > > You will remember these words when you come back home and found the
                                > NSLU2 has stopped just as you expected an important file or action
                                > from it :-(
                                > >
                                > > My � 0.02
                                > >
                                > > Frank
                                > >
                                > > Carl Lowenstein <clowenstein@> wrote: On 10/12/07, Peter Chant
                                > <pete@> wrote:

                                > > > <snip>

                                > > > Could not see the picture. How on earth did you damage it? Yes
                                > C119 ought to
                                > > > be a capacitor from the C designation, but they are reasonably
                                robust
                                > > > provided you don't do bad things to them (excessive voltage or
                                reverse
                                > > > voltage with electrolytics).
                                > >
                                > > I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
                                > > circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.
                                > >
                                > > I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal 65536 by a
                                > > screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken
                                > > bit.
                                > >
                                > > carl
                                > > --
                                > > carl lowenstein
                                > > marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
                                > > clowenstein@

                              • Stanley P. Miller
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 24, 2007
                                  It might be worth trying to remove the entire cap from the board, it
                                  might be causing a short due to the damage which could be causing the
                                  problem.

                                  wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > > B. Sc. E.E
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Frank Reijn <fnijer@> wrote:
                                  > > > Neil,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > For this Huge amount of money... buy a new one!!!!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > You will remember these words when you come back home and found the
                                  > > NSLU2 has stopped just as you expected an important file or action
                                  > > from it :-(
                                  > > >
                                  > > > My � 0.02
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Frank
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Carl Lowenstein <clowenstein@> wrote: On 10/12/07, Peter Chant

                                  > > C119 ought to
                                  > robust
                                  > reverse
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I suspect that "damaged" means something like "broke it off the
                                  > > > circuit board", perhaps by dropping something.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I once had a 65535-bit core memory, reduced from the normal
                                  65536 by a
                                  > > > screwdriver falling on it. With a magnifier you could see the broken

                                • neil_homan
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 25, 2007
                                    I tried to get to reset mode but failed. But i cleaned the area around
                                    where it was removed and tried again and it worked - flashed openwrt.
                                    To be honest i think i was just luckier the second time around.
                                    It must have been a decoupling capacitor as Johnni suggested - luckily
                                    for me.

                                    Thanks to all for help and hope these posts help others with similar
                                    problems.

                                    Thanks guys,
                                    -Neil
                                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Stanley P. Miller"