Re: [nslu2-general] Maxtor OneTouch III Mini SpinDown Question

  • colincliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi Mike,

      I am having the same problem with a Maxtor ontouch III mini.
      Can you confirm that this process did indeed enable spin down on your drive?

      thanks
      Colin

      michael_peter_thompson wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Lowenstein"
      > <clowenstein@...> wrote:
      >> Do you have an ext3 file system on this drive? If so, by default it
      >> is updating its log file every 5 seconds.
      >>
      >> carl
      >
      > Yes, I do have the ext3 filesystem as it is the drive that was unslung.
      >
      > Looking more into this, it appears I can get the OneTouch III mini
      > drive to spin down by doing the following:
      >
      > 1. Modify /etc/crontab to the following:

      > 0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/CheckDiskFull &>/dev/null
      > 1 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/WatchDog &>/dev/null
      > 2 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/hwclock -s &>/dev/null
      >
      > 2. Create /unslung/rc.bootbin as described on
      > SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch wiki page to make /var and /dev use
      > ramdisks.
      >
      > 3. Create /unslung/rc.local with the following:

      > #!/bin/sh
      > /bin/echo "Remounting /dev/sda1 with noatime"
      > /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda1
      >
      > #/usr/sbin/CheckResetButton 2>/dev/null
      > #/usr/sbin/CheckPowerButton 2>/dev/null
      > #/usr/sbin/do_umount 2>/dev/null
      > /bin/chmod 775 /share 2>/dev/null
      > /bin/chown admin.everyone /share/hdd/ 2>/dev/null
      > /bin/chown admin.everyone /share 2>/dev/null
      > /etc/rc.d/rc.quota 2>/dev/null
      > /usr/sbin/init_media 2>/dev/null
      > /bin/echo "$HOSTNAME: boot complete!"; check_status
      >
      > return 0
      >
      > NOTE: CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton are commented out.
      >
      > 4. Create /unslung/rc.quickset with the following:

      > #!/bin/sh
      >
      > return 0
      >
      > This disables sbin/QuickSet, sbin/USB_Detect and sbin/onetouch_detect.
      >
      > I'm still working to determine what specific process that I removed
      > above is the culprit, but my testing so far seems to indicate that it
      > is CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton. If I add these back in the
      > drive will no longer spin down which seems strange. I'll get more
      > information and post back here.
      >
      > Mike

    • Mike Thompson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007
        Hi Colin,

        I have since given up trying to get my unslung NSLU2 to spin down. I
        did get to the point of getting the Maxtor one-touch to spin down, but
        then ran into problems of a drive failure occurring when the drive was
        attempting to spin up again. I don't know of this was an issue with the
        NSLU2 or the Maxtor drive itself.

        I have since upgraded to to Debian and will likely try to get spin down
        working again under that environment once I have some free time.

        Mike Thompson

        colincliff wrote:

        > Hi Mike,
        >
        > I am having the same problem with a Maxtor ontouch III mini.
        > Can you confirm that this process did indeed enable spin down on your drive?
        >
        > thanks
        > Colin
        >
        > michael_peter_thompson wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>, "Carl Lowenstein"
        > > <clowenstein@...> wrote:
        > >> Do you have an ext3 file system on this drive? If so, by default it
        > >> is updating its log file every 5 seconds.
        > >>
        > >> carl
        > >
        > > Yes, I do have the ext3 filesystem as it is the drive that was unslung.
        > >
        > > Looking more into this, it appears I can get the OneTouch III mini
        > > drive to spin down by doing the following:
        > >
        > > 1. Modify /etc/crontab to the following:

        > > 0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/CheckDiskFull &>/dev/null
        > > 1 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/WatchDog &>/dev/null
        > > 2 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/hwclock -s &>/dev/null
        > >
        > > 2. Create /unslung/rc.bootbin as described on
        > > SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch wiki page to make /var and /dev use
        > > ramdisks.
        > >
        > > 3. Create /unslung/rc.local with the following:

        > > #!/bin/sh
        > > /bin/echo "Remounting /dev/sda1 with noatime"
        > > /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda1
        > >
        > > #/usr/sbin/CheckResetButton 2>/dev/null
        > > #/usr/sbin/CheckPowerButton 2>/dev/null
        > > #/usr/sbin/do_umount 2>/dev/null
        > > /bin/chmod 775 /share 2>/dev/null
        > > /bin/chown admin.everyone /share/hdd/ 2>/dev/null
        > > /bin/chown admin.everyone /share 2>/dev/null
        > > /etc/rc.d/rc.quota 2>/dev/null
        > > /usr/sbin/init_media 2>/dev/null
        > > /bin/echo "$HOSTNAME: boot complete!"; check_status
        > >
        > > return 0
        > >
        > > NOTE: CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton are commented out.
        > >
        > > 4. Create /unslung/rc.quickset with the following:

        > > #!/bin/sh
        > >
        > > return 0
        > >
        > > This disables sbin/QuickSet, sbin/USB_Detect and sbin/onetouch_detect.
        > >
        > > I'm still working to determine what specific process that I removed
        > > above is the culprit, but my testing so far seems to indicate that it
        > > is CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton. If I add these back in the
        > > drive will no longer spin down which seems strange. I'll get more
        > > information and post back here.
        > >
        > > Mike

      • Fernando Carolo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
          On 10/15/07, Mike Thompson <michael.p.thompson@...> wrote:
          > Hi Colin,
          >
          > I have since given up trying to get my unslung NSLU2 to spin down. I
          > did get to the point of getting the Maxtor one-touch to spin down, but
          > then ran into problems of a drive failure occurring when the drive was
          > attempting to spin up again. I don't know of this was an issue with the
          > NSLU2 or the Maxtor drive itself.

          Mike,

          did you check this wiki page
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAgent?
          A friend of mine had a similar problem running Debian on a slug, using
          a Seagate disk. After a spin down, the kernel would report a timeout
          waiting for the disk to spin up again. Setting a kernel parameter
          through /sys/class/scsi_disk fixed the problem. Maybe this can help
          you.

          Regards,

          --
          Fernando Carolo
          "Ignore the noise. Make some signal" -- Nathan Torkington
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
            Fernando,

            It sounds like that could make a difference. I'll give it a try.
            Thanks for passing the link along.

            Mike Thompson