Re: [nslu2-general] deleting folders under windows

  • Lars Jensen
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
      Sorry David - just took a second look at your email and realised it was
      posted to nslu2-general (not to nslu2-linux) so you may actually be running
      an unmodified nslu2 and not have ssh access.

      In that case, the only thing I can think of that might speed this up is to
      use a Windows Command Prompt to delete the directory:

      rmdir /s <directory-name>

      When deleting directories, Windows Explorer seems to compile a list of all
      files and folders to be deleted before it actually starts deleting anything
      (presumably so it can show you a nice progress bar) and with large directory
      structures this can take a long time. So you might find using the above
      command, which will circumvent this and other Windows 'features' like the
      recycle-bin, will be faster.

      On 10/8/07, Lars Jensen <larz.jensen@...> wrote:

      > Hi David,
      >
      > Assuming these files are on a disk attached to your NSLU2 and your'e
      > trying to delete them via a Samba share, it's probably going to be much
      > faster to ssh into the nslu2 and delete them from the command line, like so:
      >

      > rm -rf <directory-name>
      >
      > That number of files is still going to take quite some time though.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Lars
      >
      > On 10/8/07, David K <subs@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm running a Windows network.
      > >
      > > I have to delete about 100GB of files from a 250GB disk,
      > > about 200,000 files in total, in several directories.
      > >
      > > It is taking many many hours, deleting each file individually.
      > >
      > > Is there a better way?
      > >
      > > David Kinston
      > > melbourne.au

    • Carl Lowenstein
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
        On 10/8/07, David K <subs@...> wrote:

        > I'm running a Windows network.
        >
        > I have to delete about 100GB of files from a 250GB disk,
        > about 200,000 files in total, in several directories.
        >
        > It is taking many many hours, deleting each file individually.
        >
        > Is there a better way?

        Are there any files in those directories that you don't want to
        delete? If the keepers are few, copy them to some other disk and then
        reformat the disk that has the files you don't want.

        carl
        --
        carl lowenstein
        marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
          On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 21:38 +1000, David K wrote:

          > I have to delete about 100GB of files from a 250GB disk,
          > about 200,000 files in total, in several directories.
          >
          > It is taking many many hours, deleting each file individually.
          >
          > Is there a better way?

          Log in the slug an delete them on the slug with the "rm <file list>"
          command.

          It's a lot faster then deleting files over the share.

          --
          marceln
        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
            On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 18:06 +0000, Steve C wrote:

            > Prob is I don't have the original software disk that came with the
            > unit, can anyone point me in the direction of a file to download. -
            > I've looked on the linksys website with no luck.

            You can find the original version of the firmware with a search for
            nslu2 on the linksys site.

            The alternative firmwares are on the nslu2 site?

            --
            marceln
          • muk_saini
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007

              - In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

              > On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 18:06 +0000, Steve C wrote:
              >
              > > Prob is I don't have the original software disk that came with the
              > > unit, can anyone point me in the direction of a file to download. -
              > > I've looked on the linksys website with no luck.
              >
              > You can find the original version of the firmware with a search for
              > nslu2 on the linksys site.
              >
              > The alternative firmwares are on the nslu2 site?
              >
              > --
              > marceln
              > hello via u can open web site
              www.download.com u can load orignel softwere
            • Carl Lowenstein
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
                On 10/8/07, muk_saini <muk_saini@...> wrote:

                > - In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 18:06 +0000, Steve C wrote:
                > >
                > > > Prob is I don't have the original software disk that came with the
                > > > unit, can anyone point me in the direction of a file to download. -
                > > > I've looked on the linksys website with no luck.
                > >
                > > You can find the original version of the firmware with a search for
                > > nslu2 on the linksys site.
                > >
                > > The alternative firmwares are on the nslu2 site?
                > >
                > > --
                > > marceln
                > > hello via u can open web site
                > www.download.com u can load orignel softwere

                As I remember, the original question was "what is the default
                administrator's password". The answer to that, like for nearly all
                Linksys hardware, is "admin".

                If you want manuals or firmware, they can be downloaded from the
                Linksys web site, follow this URL:

                <http://tinyurl.com/ypzuov>

                carl