password help req

  • Steve C
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
      Hi guys,

      Ive just dug my nslu2 out of the garage where its been gathering dust.
      Its a stock unit with the correct static ip address for my network. I
      can see it and read write to it but I cant remember the password to
      login (I want to play) - i presume I need to reset the unit.

      Prob is I don't have the original software disk that came with the
      unit, can anyone point me in the direction of a file to download. -
      I've looked on the linksys website with no luck.

      Can any one help?

      Thanks

      Steve
    • David K
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
        I'm running a Windows network.

        I have to delete about 100GB of files from a 250GB disk,
        about 200,000 files in total, in several directories.

        It is taking many many hours, deleting each file individually.

        Is there a better way?

        David Kinston
        melbourne.au
      • Lars Jensen
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
          Hi David,

          Assuming these files are on a disk attached to your NSLU2 and your'e trying
          to delete them via a Samba share, it's probably going to be much faster to
          ssh into the nslu2 and delete them from the command line, like so:

          rm -rf <directory-name>

          That number of files is still going to take quite some time though.

          Cheers,
          Lars

          On 10/8/07, David K <subs@...> wrote:

          > I'm running a Windows network.
          >
          > I have to delete about 100GB of files from a 250GB disk,
          > about 200,000 files in total, in several directories.
          >
          > It is taking many many hours, deleting each file individually.
          >
          > Is there a better way?
          >
          > David Kinston
          > melbourne.au

        • Lars Jensen
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
            Sorry David - just took a second look at your email and realised it was
            posted to nslu2-general (not to nslu2-linux) so you may actually be running
            an unmodified nslu2 and not have ssh access.

            In that case, the only thing I can think of that might speed this up is to
            use a Windows Command Prompt to delete the directory:

            rmdir /s <directory-name>

            When deleting directories, Windows Explorer seems to compile a list of all
            files and folders to be deleted before it actually starts deleting anything
            (presumably so it can show you a nice progress bar) and with large directory
            structures this can take a long time. So you might find using the above
            command, which will circumvent this and other Windows 'features' like the
            recycle-bin, will be faster.

            On 10/8/07, Lars Jensen <larz.jensen@...> wrote:

            > Hi David,
            >
            > Assuming these files are on a disk attached to your NSLU2 and your'e
            > trying to delete them via a Samba share, it's probably going to be much
            > faster to ssh into the nslu2 and delete them from the command line, like so:
            >

            > rm -rf <directory-name>
            >
            > That number of files is still going to take quite some time though.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Lars
            >
            > On 10/8/07, David K <subs@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm running a Windows network.
            > >
            > > I have to delete about 100GB of files from a 250GB disk,
            > > about 200,000 files in total, in several directories.
            > >
            > > It is taking many many hours, deleting each file individually.
            > >
            > > Is there a better way?
            > >
            > > David Kinston
            > > melbourne.au

          • Carl Lowenstein
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
              On 10/8/07, David K <subs@...> wrote:

              > I'm running a Windows network.
              >
              > I have to delete about 100GB of files from a 250GB disk,
              > about 200,000 files in total, in several directories.
              >
              > It is taking many many hours, deleting each file individually.
              >
              > Is there a better way?

              Are there any files in those directories that you don't want to
              delete? If the keepers are few, copy them to some other disk and then
              reformat the disk that has the files you don't want.

              carl
              --
              carl lowenstein
              marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
                On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 21:38 +1000, David K wrote:

                > I have to delete about 100GB of files from a 250GB disk,
                > about 200,000 files in total, in several directories.
                >
                > It is taking many many hours, deleting each file individually.
                >
                > Is there a better way?

                Log in the slug an delete them on the slug with the "rm <file list>"
                command.

                It's a lot faster then deleting files over the share.

                --
                marceln
              • Marcel Nijenhof
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
                  On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 18:06 +0000, Steve C wrote:

                  > Prob is I don't have the original software disk that came with the
                  > unit, can anyone point me in the direction of a file to download. -
                  > I've looked on the linksys website with no luck.

                  You can find the original version of the firmware with a search for
                  nslu2 on the linksys site.

                  The alternative firmwares are on the nslu2 site?

                  --
                  marceln
                • muk_saini
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007

                    - In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

                    > On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 18:06 +0000, Steve C wrote:
                    >
                    > > Prob is I don't have the original software disk that came with the
                    > > unit, can anyone point me in the direction of a file to download. -
                    > > I've looked on the linksys website with no luck.
                    >
                    > You can find the original version of the firmware with a search for
                    > nslu2 on the linksys site.
                    >
                    > The alternative firmwares are on the nslu2 site?
                    >
                    > --
                    > marceln
                    > hello via u can open web site
                    www.download.com u can load orignel softwere
                  • Carl Lowenstein
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
                      On 10/8/07, muk_saini <muk_saini@...> wrote:

                      > - In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 18:06 +0000, Steve C wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Prob is I don't have the original software disk that came with the
                      > > > unit, can anyone point me in the direction of a file to download. -
                      > > > I've looked on the linksys website with no luck.
                      > >
                      > > You can find the original version of the firmware with a search for
                      > > nslu2 on the linksys site.
                      > >
                      > > The alternative firmwares are on the nslu2 site?
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > marceln
                      > > hello via u can open web site
                      > www.download.com u can load orignel softwere

                      As I remember, the original question was "what is the default
                      administrator's password". The answer to that, like for nearly all
                      Linksys hardware, is "admin".

                      If you want manuals or firmware, they can be downloaded from the
                      Linksys web site, follow this URL:

                      <http://tinyurl.com/ypzuov>

                      carl