error: Could not get shadow information for

  • bruceleetokyo
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2007
      I have a vanilla install of UnSlung and the first thing I did was to
      install Openssh from these instructions:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseOpenSSHForRemoteAccess

      Everything appeared fine until I looked in /opt/var/log/auth.log, I
      get the error message below.

      ---
      error: Could not get shadow information for root
      sshd[525]: Accepted password for root from 192.168.1.22 port 2550 ssh2
      ---

      Whilst I can login fine, the error is bothering me. It happens with a
      newly created user as well.

      I checked the permissions/directories which should be in the user
      home directory (/home/<username>) and it all looks correct.

      I vaguely remember about a year ago when I was setting this up
      before, someone mentioned about needing to sync the passwd file to
      solve this problem?

      thanks
      bruce
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2007
        There is no shadow password file on Unslung, hence the message from sshd.

        Mike (mwester)