Rsyncd problem

  • mackowiakp
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
      I have two NAS devices in my home network. First is MAXTOR MSS and the
      second NSLU2 with unslung 6.8 beta. Both units have rsyncd daemon
      running and also I have rsyc clients on my two PC (WIN XP based) and
      Linux Mandriva based laptop. Syncing works perfectly between all of
      devices. The only problem I have is that files created on NSLU2 have
      user and group id not equal to any user on NSLU. For example if I
      rsync data between Maxtor (as a server) and NSLU2 (as client) or WIN
      XP based PC (as client) and NSLU2 (as server). In both cases
      physically files are transferred to NSLU2 (clients creates files on NSLU2.
      I want the files created on NSLU2 to have user and group ID taken from
      one of the user defined on NSLU2. How can I do it?
      This particular user exist on NSLU2 so I can login as that user.
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
        On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 07:20:56PM -0000, mackowiakp wrote:
        > I want the files created on NSLU2 to have user and group ID taken from
        > one of the user defined on NSLU2. How can I do it?

        rsync has several options to deal with user/group mapping.
        Check the man page. It sounds to me like you want to start the NSLU2
        daemon from the account of your NSLU2 (normal) user, possibly with
        the --no-super option specified, so that only files of that user get
        created on the slug.

        Alternatively, you could just run something like "chown -R myuser:mygroup
        /mydir/" as a cronjob on the NSLU2.
      • Peter Chant
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2007
          On Tuesday 02 October 2007, John wrote:
          rsync has several options to deal with user/group mapping.
          > Check the man page. It sounds to me like you want to start the NSLU2
          > daemon from the account of your NSLU2 (normal) user, possibly with
          > the --no-super option specified, so that only files of that user get
          > created on the slug.
          >
          > Alternatively, you could just run something like "chown -R
          > myuser:mygroup /mydir/" as a cronjob on the NSLU2.

          I would think that that would cause the users and groups to be incorrect on
          Mandriva if a restore was required.

          Pete

          --
          Peter Chant