Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 auto shutdown and reboot

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      > My NSLU2 is unslung. I can get it to shutdown
      > automatically but it won't restart at the time that I
      > set it to. Any suggestions??

      Are you expecting it to power itself back up at a pre-determined time, or
      are you saying that the reboot at a particular time won't work? If the
      former, the hardware can't do that. If the latter, first did that work on
      the original firmware, and secondly what makes you wish to reboot the device
      periodically? A properly-configured NLSU2 (unlike typical Windows systems)
      does not need or benefit from regular restarts -- one of my Unslung systems
      has now reached 345 days since last reboot.

      Mike (mwester)
    • phfkef
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
        wrote:

        > > My NSLU2 is unslung. I can get it to shutdown
        > > automatically but it won't restart at the time that I
        > > set it to. Any suggestions??
        >
        > Are you expecting it to power itself back up at a pre-determined
        time, or
        > are you saying that the reboot at a particular time won't work? If the
        > former, the hardware can't do that. If the latter, first did that
        work on
        > the original firmware, and secondly what makes you wish to reboot
        the device
        > periodically? A properly-configured NLSU2 (unlike typical Windows
        systems)
        > does not need or benefit from regular restarts -- one of my Unslung
        systems
        > has now reached 345 days since last reboot.
        >
        > Mike (mwester)

        I was expecting it to power itself back up at a pre-determined time.
        The time to shutdown and to restart are input into the administrative,
        status web page for the device so I assumed that the restart function
        was supported. The reason is to shutdown and let my portable hard
        drive rest when it is not needed (e.g. all night).