AW: [nslu2-general] Radio Hams ???

  • Klaus Ruebsam
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi Richard,

      Would you please give (at least me) a bit more of information about what DX
      Cluster is all about? Searching for ´DX Cluster´ on Google was not of any
      help (of course tooooo many hits!).

      73 de Klaus

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 19:25:28 +0200
        "Klaus Ruebsam" <k.ruebsam@...> wrote:

        > Hi Richard,
        >
        > Would you please give (at least me) a bit more of information about
        > what DX Cluster is all about? Searching for ´DX Cluster´ on Google
        > was not of any help (of course tooooo many hits!).
        >
        > 73 de Klaus

        Certainly Klaus

        The DX cluster is a real time data base of of distant Ham stations.
        Its purpose is to enable radio hams to contact distant stations ,( DX ).
        So if a Ham in Hamburg is able to contact another Ham a long distance
        away, say Australia, he would enter the callsign of the Australian Ham,
        and the frequency they had their contact on in to this live database.
        This inputted data is forwarded to other DX clusters who make that
        information available to other Radio hams that are using their local
        cluster node.
        The data entered by the radio ham in Hamburg is then available round
        the world in a few seconds.
        It's very useful to know that if you have been calling for a contact
        for a while that your calls have been heard , it may be for example the
        station who has heard your calls may not have enough transmitted power
        for you to hear his reply.
        Its also widely used for propagation studies, there are many radio
        beacons worldwide, reception of these beacons can entered on to the
        cluster when they can be received by irregular modes.
        At VHF this could be by reflection off an auroral event, or sporadic
        ionisation of the E layer, etc..

        I hope that explains it a little.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hi Richard,

          RB>I hope that explains it a little.

          Perfectly and easy to understand (even for someone like me, not being QRV
          for almost 15 years, just starting over again), yet a couple of new
          questions left: Where to get the required software, what to do in order to
          install it on a NSLU2, how to use the software during daily CQ-work and is
          it more a local thing or should I (in case I install the software on my
          NSLU2) make my NSLU2 be available in the net (which I do not necessarily
          want to)!?!

          @all others: Sorry for being that offtopic in our list, but I´d say SPAM is
          worse than that, isn´t it? :-)

          73 de Klaus

          Shortforms used:
          73: best wishes
          de: from
        • Richard
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
            On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:13:35 +0200
            "Klaus Ruebsam" <k.ruebsam@...> wrote:

            > Hi Richard,
            >
            > RB>I hope that explains it a little.
            >
            > Perfectly and easy to understand (even for someone like me, not being
            > QRV for almost 15 years, just starting over again), yet a couple of
            > new questions left: Where to get the required software, what to do in
            > order to install it on a NSLU2, how to use the software during daily
            > CQ-work and is it more a local thing or should I (in case I install
            > the software on my NSLU2) make my NSLU2 be available in the net
            > (which I do not necessarily want to)!?!
            >
            > @all others: Sorry for being that offtopic in our list, but I´d say
            > SPAM is worse than that, isn´t it? :-)
            >
            > 73 de Klaus
            >
            > Shortforms used:
            > 73: best wishes
            > de: from

            OK Klaus

            I'll write a full reply in the morning. I'll try and remember the whole
            install process..