NSLU2 auto shutdown and reboot

  • phfkef
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2007
      My NSLU2 is unslung. I can get it to shutdown automatically but it
      won't restart at the time that I set it to. Any suggestions??
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        > My NSLU2 is unslung. I can get it to shutdown
        > automatically but it won't restart at the time that I
        > set it to. Any suggestions??

        Are you expecting it to power itself back up at a pre-determined time, or
        are you saying that the reboot at a particular time won't work? If the
        former, the hardware can't do that. If the latter, first did that work on
        the original firmware, and secondly what makes you wish to reboot the device
        periodically? A properly-configured NLSU2 (unlike typical Windows systems)
        does not need or benefit from regular restarts -- one of my Unslung systems
        has now reached 345 days since last reboot.

        Mike (mwester)
      • phfkef
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > > My NSLU2 is unslung. I can get it to shutdown
          > > automatically but it won't restart at the time that I
          > > set it to. Any suggestions??
          >
          > Are you expecting it to power itself back up at a pre-determined
          time, or
          > are you saying that the reboot at a particular time won't work? If the
          > former, the hardware can't do that. If the latter, first did that
          work on
          > the original firmware, and secondly what makes you wish to reboot
          the device
          > periodically? A properly-configured NLSU2 (unlike typical Windows
          systems)
          > does not need or benefit from regular restarts -- one of my Unslung
          systems
          > has now reached 345 days since last reboot.
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

          I was expecting it to power itself back up at a pre-determined time.
          The time to shutdown and to restart are input into the administrative,
          status web page for the device so I assumed that the restart function
          was supported. The reason is to shutdown and let my portable hard
          drive rest when it is not needed (e.g. all night).