Radio Hams ???

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi All
      If there are any Radio Hams on this list, I have now got
      the DXspider DX Cluster running on my nslu2.

      --

      Best Wishes

      Richard Bown

      Registered Linux User 365161
      OS Mandriva 2007.1
      HAM Callsign G8JVM : Locator IO82SP
      QRV all bands 80mtrs to 3 cms ,( non WARC )
      http://www.software-radio.org.uk
    • Klaus Ruebsam
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Richard,

        Would you please give (at least me) a bit more of information about what DX
        Cluster is all about? Searching for ´DX Cluster´ on Google was not of any
        help (of course tooooo many hits!).

        73 de Klaus

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
          On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 19:25:28 +0200
          "Klaus Ruebsam" <k.ruebsam@...> wrote:

          > Hi Richard,
          >
          > Would you please give (at least me) a bit more of information about
          > what DX Cluster is all about? Searching for ´DX Cluster´ on Google
          > was not of any help (of course tooooo many hits!).
          >
          > 73 de Klaus

          Certainly Klaus

          The DX cluster is a real time data base of of distant Ham stations.
          Its purpose is to enable radio hams to contact distant stations ,( DX ).
          So if a Ham in Hamburg is able to contact another Ham a long distance
          away, say Australia, he would enter the callsign of the Australian Ham,
          and the frequency they had their contact on in to this live database.
          This inputted data is forwarded to other DX clusters who make that
          information available to other Radio hams that are using their local
          cluster node.
          The data entered by the radio ham in Hamburg is then available round
          the world in a few seconds.
          It's very useful to know that if you have been calling for a contact
          for a while that your calls have been heard , it may be for example the
          station who has heard your calls may not have enough transmitted power
          for you to hear his reply.
          Its also widely used for propagation studies, there are many radio
          beacons worldwide, reception of these beacons can entered on to the
          cluster when they can be received by irregular modes.
          At VHF this could be by reflection off an auroral event, or sporadic
          ionisation of the E layer, etc..

          I hope that explains it a little.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
            Hi Richard,

            RB>I hope that explains it a little.

            Perfectly and easy to understand (even for someone like me, not being QRV
            for almost 15 years, just starting over again), yet a couple of new
            questions left: Where to get the required software, what to do in order to
            install it on a NSLU2, how to use the software during daily CQ-work and is
            it more a local thing or should I (in case I install the software on my
            NSLU2) make my NSLU2 be available in the net (which I do not necessarily
            want to)!?!

            @all others: Sorry for being that offtopic in our list, but I´d say SPAM is
            worse than that, isn´t it? :-)

            73 de Klaus

            Shortforms used:
            73: best wishes
            de: from
          • Richard
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
              On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:13:35 +0200
              "Klaus Ruebsam" <k.ruebsam@...> wrote:

              > Hi Richard,
              >
              > RB>I hope that explains it a little.
              >
              > Perfectly and easy to understand (even for someone like me, not being
              > QRV for almost 15 years, just starting over again), yet a couple of
              > new questions left: Where to get the required software, what to do in
              > order to install it on a NSLU2, how to use the software during daily
              > CQ-work and is it more a local thing or should I (in case I install
              > the software on my NSLU2) make my NSLU2 be available in the net
              > (which I do not necessarily want to)!?!
              >
              > @all others: Sorry for being that offtopic in our list, but I´d say
              > SPAM is worse than that, isn´t it? :-)
              >
              > 73 de Klaus
              >
              > Shortforms used:
              > 73: best wishes
              > de: from

              OK Klaus

              I'll write a full reply in the morning. I'll try and remember the whole
              install process..