Re:Unable to Format flash - trying to upgrade to 6.8 or at least run 5.

  • Jorge Ruiz
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2007
      I had the same problem with 3 1GB memory sticks of different brands and this is the only thing that worked for me:

      "I wanted to use disk1 to unsling. Disk1 was already formatted by the NSLU, but not recognized if plugged in after NSLU boot.
      Firmware: V2.3R63. uNSLUng 6.8 beta.
      The way I was able to unsling:
      1)boot without disk
      2)telnet to NSLU
      3)attach disk (disk is powered off)
      4)power on disk
      5)type 'mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/tmpmnt'. => you should see your data there
      6)type 'umount /mnt/tmpmnt'
      7)type 'mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /share/hdd/data'
      8)type 'mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /share/hdd/conf'
      9)reload the web-interface => you should see your disk there on port 1
      10)proceed to unsling as described in the readme (in my case I had to type '/sbin/unsling disk1')
      (replace sdb* with sda* and 'hdd' with 'flash' (e.g. /share/hdd/data becomes /share/flash/data) if you want to use disk2 instead of disk1)"

      I extracted it from:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TroubleshootADriveMissingCondition
      where you can find a lot more information about this topic.

      Here is another place where you can find more interesting things about the same:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/FailedFormatFix

      I hope it helps you. By the way, you can unsling to either port 1 or port 2 indistinctly when using unslung 6.8.

      Regards

      Jorge

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "akameswaran" <akameswaran@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I have a 1GB memorex travelDrive that I want to use for my root
      > filesystem.
      >
      > I followed the instructions on the wiki to manually format my usb stick.
      >
      > So I can get through the entire process, and end up with a "formatted"
      > drive. An oddity is that the slug (which could see the flash in
      > either drive before the repartition) will only see the usbstick if it
      > is plugged in when I turn on the slug. Otherwise all I get is not
      > installed, regardless of port. Additionally, this only works on port
      > 1, port 2 never recognizes it anymore (and isn't that the 'flash' port?)
      >
      > Here's another oddity. After the default wiki steps didn't work.
      > What I notived, was while with fdisk linked to a fake script, the
      > interface would return "formatted" but upon reboot it always showed
      > unformatted. I decided I would actually let the slug "format" the
      > disk. So I restored fdisk in /sbin and let the slug format my memory
      > stick while in port 1. This succeeded, and every reboot showed it as
      > "formatted"
      >
      > However, when I mounted both my usb stick, and my previous root drive
      > (a seagate external USB) I noticed that the contents of partition1 on
      > the hard drive matched to partition 2 on the stick. And vice versa.
      > Both had partition 3 as swap, obviously. So I tried doing an exact
      > copy of the partition from the hd to the usb. Due to the media files
      > being on the root partition, I had to use cpio as opposed to dd
      >
      > Anyway... when i did this I treated the partitions on the memory stick
      > as if they were used the same way my hd was. Ie partition 1 to
      > partition 1. Even though the slug had set them up backward, there was
      > no way I was going to waste the mem stick by having an 800 meg config
      > partition.
      >
      > SO anyway, after doing this my memory stick is now "unformatted" and I
      > couldn't use it to boot back into unslung 5.5. I had hoped by doing a
      > partition copy it would work, but apparently I was wrong.
      >
      > I'm not sure if I should try and repartition the mem stick to one big
      > FAT partition, just to see if I can get it recognized in port 2 again.
      > Or whether it might be better to repartition it, but reverse the
      > sizes of partition 1 and 2 to mirror the (to my eyes) backwards way
      > the nslu2 had formatted. I suppose the third option is follow the
      > wiki to the letter, but the fact that the slug showed the drive as
      > "unformatted" and I couldn't read it in port 2, kind made me nervous
      > to proceed on that path.
      >
      > Any suggestions? I have scoured the wiki and can't find anything else
      > to try.
      >
      > Hmmm, last minute things that might matter.
      > I have de-underclocked my slug.
      >
      > Twonky is currently in ram, but I intend to swap to disk when I do a
      > cleanupgrade to 6.8. I just want to confirm the memstick can work
      > before I try.
      >
      > The only other pkg's installed are ipkg and python.

    • akameswaran
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2007
        Thanks for this, Jorge.

        I had already tried going through the steps in how to troubleshoot
        drive missing condition, and the drive wasn't even mountable.

        The kinda wonky thing is. I used fdisk to partition again, and
        format. For some reason, my slug treated the partitions in the
        expected order this time. I'm not sure if there is some possible race
        condition that causes the nslu2 to mount partitions in a different
        order sometimes?

        Anyway. Late at night, I made a mistake and nuked my hard drive.
        (big difference between tar -cvf and -xvf - but they can look a lot
        alike at 1 am) So i went a head and unslung to the memory stick even
        with it's odd behavior. Basically right now, as long as I have both
        drives plugged in (1GB mem, and 100GB seagate) when the slug boots, It
        runs off the mem stick, and the hd is fine. If I change the
        connection at any time, or disconnect a drive - all hell breaks loose.
        But it's working.

        This is with 5.5. I'll have to upgrade to 6.8 once I fill up my 100GB
        drive - cuz I'll need to use a hub. Until then, i'm going to leave
        well enough alone.

        Oh I btw stopped running twonky - couldn't get flac to work through
        it... and my ps3 doesn't decode flac natively. So installed linux on
        the ps3 and just use the slug as a file server. I realized in my
        house, all my devices are linux boxes at some level or other, so I
        don't really need anything but a file server. Somehow it all feels so
        low tech.

        Cheers,
        AK