Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Dead Slug? (Super Newbie)

Expand Messages
  • ian_jefferyes
    Hi, I got an NSLU2 from ebay that had already had the firmware messed with. Maybe a slightly stupid thing to do perhaps, but hey it is always worth a punt. I
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi,

      I got an NSLU2 from ebay that had already had the firmware messed
      with. Maybe a slightly stupid thing to do perhaps, but hey it is
      always worth a punt.

      I wasn't able to get the details of what had been done, but I was
      assured that only the firmware had been updated.

      So, eventually after several attempts, I managed to reload the Linksys
      firmware, NSLU2_V23R63.bin using the Upgrade Utility from Sercomm.

      The firmware loaded and the check confirmed that it had successfully
      loaded. But, I still cannot get it to boot.

      Connected to the NSLU2 I have a Western Digital Essential 500Gb drive
      connected to port 1. I also have a 2Gb USB stick connected to port 2.

      When I switch it on, the ready/status light turns amber and the
      ethernet light flickers. After a several seconds the ready/status
      light flickers and the ethernet light goes out. This then just
      repeats over and over again.

      Neither of the lights for the USB drive light up when the power is
      switched on.

      I have checked on my router, but can't see any attached device (other
      than my PC) so don't know the IP address to connect to the management
      page.

      I have changed the DHCP range to both 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 and
      192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 but neither worked.

      So, do I have a dead slug? What would be the next steps to get it too
      work?

      Cheers

      Ian
    • ian_jefferyes
      Is there anyone that can help me with this or shall I chuck it in the bin and buy another one? Cheers Ian
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Is there anyone that can help me with this or shall I chuck it in the
        bin and buy another one?

        Cheers

        Ian

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ian_jefferyes" <nslu2@...> wrote:
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > I got an NSLU2 from ebay that had already had the firmware messed
        > with. Maybe a slightly stupid thing to do perhaps, but hey it is
        > always worth a punt.
        >
        > I wasn't able to get the details of what had been done, but I was
        > assured that only the firmware had been updated.
        >
        > So, eventually after several attempts, I managed to reload the Linksys
        > firmware, NSLU2_V23R63.bin using the Upgrade Utility from Sercomm.
        >
        > The firmware loaded and the check confirmed that it had successfully
        > loaded. But, I still cannot get it to boot.
        >
        > Connected to the NSLU2 I have a Western Digital Essential 500Gb drive
        > connected to port 1. I also have a 2Gb USB stick connected to port 2.
        >
        > When I switch it on, the ready/status light turns amber and the
        > ethernet light flickers. After a several seconds the ready/status
        > light flickers and the ethernet light goes out. This then just
        > repeats over and over again.
        >
        > Neither of the lights for the USB drive light up when the power is
        > switched on.
        >
        > I have checked on my router, but can't see any attached device (other
        > than my PC) so don't know the IP address to connect to the management
        > page.
        >
        > I have changed the DHCP range to both 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 and
        > 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 but neither worked.
        >
        > So, do I have a dead slug? What would be the next steps to get it too
        > work?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Ian
        >
      • John
        ... If you are comfortable with a soldering iron, the next step is to install a serial port. With it, you can watch the messages during boot-up and see what
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 06:13:18PM -0000, ian_jefferyes wrote:
          > Is there anyone that can help me with this or shall I chuck it in the
          > bin and buy another one?

          If you are comfortable with a soldering iron, the next step is to
          install a serial port. With it, you can watch the messages during
          boot-up and see what goes wrong.

          By the way, were you patient during boot-up? Sometimes, the slug
          wants to run a disk check (fsck) before completing the boot and this
          can take a long time, particularly on a 500GB HD.
        • ian_jefferyes
          ... Do you know here in the UK I can buy a RS232 Converter Link so that I can add the serial port? By the way, I did manage to telnet into Redboot, but after
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, John <jl.050877@...> wrote:
            >
            > On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 06:13:18PM -0000, ian_jefferyes wrote:
            > > Is there anyone that can help me with this or shall I chuck it in the
            > > bin and buy another one?
            >
            > If you are comfortable with a soldering iron, the next step is to
            > install a serial port. With it, you can watch the messages during
            > boot-up and see what goes wrong.
            >
            > By the way, were you patient during boot-up? Sometimes, the slug
            > wants to run a disk check (fsck) before completing the boot and this
            > can take a long time, particularly on a 500GB HD.
            >

            Do you know here in the UK I can buy a RS232 Converter Link so that I
            can add the serial port?

            By the way, I did manage to telnet into Redboot, but after trying to
            reset the sysconfig, it now is permanently in the upgrade mode and
            when I try and use the Sercomm utility to load the linksys firmware it
            fails.

            So, I guess as you say the next step is to try the serial port route.

            Cheers

            Ian
          • Rod Whitby
            ... If you re in upgrade mode, then just use a Linux LiveCD and upslug2 to flash a known good image to the device. Then test that image with no hard disks
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              ian_jefferyes wrote:
              > By the way, I did manage to telnet into Redboot, but after trying to
              > reset the sysconfig, it now is permanently in the upgrade mode and
              > when I try and use the Sercomm utility to load the linksys firmware it
              > fails.
              >
              > So, I guess as you say the next step is to try the serial port route.

              If you're in upgrade mode, then just use a Linux LiveCD and upslug2 to
              flash a known good image to the device.

              Then test that image with no hard disks attached. If that is fine, then
              attached a *powered* hard disk (i.e. one with it's own power source, not
              one that is powered from USB) and test that.

              This will tell you where the problem lies.

              Putting a serial port on it will definitely make it easier to debug, but
              is by no means the first thing that a new user should do.

              If you are unable to flash a new image using the reset button upgrade
              mode and upslug2, then either you have bad hardware (in which case a
              serial port won't help you), or your setup for flashing the image is not
              correct (in which case a serial port won't help you either, but it may
              help you see that that is the case).

              -- Rod
            • ian_jefferyes
              ... I have tried to reload the firmware now using both the Sercom utility and upslug2 running Knoppix and Ubuntu. When I run the windows version it come up
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 17, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
                >
                > ian_jefferyes wrote:
                > > By the way, I did manage to telnet into Redboot, but after trying to
                > > reset the sysconfig, it now is permanently in the upgrade mode and
                > > when I try and use the Sercomm utility to load the linksys firmware it
                > > fails.
                > >
                > > So, I guess as you say the next step is to try the serial port route.
                >
                > If you're in upgrade mode, then just use a Linux LiveCD and upslug2 to
                > flash a known good image to the device.
                >
                > Then test that image with no hard disks attached. If that is fine, then
                > attached a *powered* hard disk (i.e. one with it's own power source, not
                > one that is powered from USB) and test that.
                >
                > This will tell you where the problem lies.
                >
                > Putting a serial port on it will definitely make it easier to debug, but
                > is by no means the first thing that a new user should do.
                >
                > If you are unable to flash a new image using the reset button upgrade
                > mode and upslug2, then either you have bad hardware (in which case a
                > serial port won't help you), or your setup for flashing the image is not
                > correct (in which case a serial port won't help you either, but it may
                > help you see that that is the case).
                >
                > -- Rod
                >

                I have tried to reload the firmware now using both the Sercom utility
                and upslug2 running Knoppix and Ubuntu.

                When I run the windows version it come up saying:

                "Upgrade process fail, please check:
                1. Printer server power connection or
                2. Ethernet cable.
                Upgrade not complete, please retry."

                The following link is a video on YouTube of what happens with the
                lights when I do this:

                http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C67fkD2V4Jg

                When I run upslug2 I get the following output:

                " root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix/tmp# upslug2 -d eth1
                --target="00:13:10:cc:d1:ad" --image="NSLU2_V23R63.bin"
                Upgrading LKGCCD1AD 00:13:10:cc:d1:ad
                . original flash contents * packet timed out
                ! being erased - erased
                u being upgraded U upgraded
                v being verified V verified

                Display:
                <status> <address completed>+<bytes transmitted but not completed>
                Status:
                * timeout occured + sequence error detected

                erasing <.>
                ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                00:13:10:cc:d1:ad: upgrade protocol error [N12NSLU2Upgrade10FlashErrorE]
                Either this is a bug in upslug2 or the upgrade failed because
                because the start packet was lost, in the latter case it is
                sufficient to simply restart the upgrade."

                So that doesn't appear to work either even if I retry as suggested.

                From what I understand I have a couple of options.

                1. Put on the serial port connector to see if that helps me diagnose
                what is going on during start up.
                2. Use upslug2 and not only try and load the firmware, but also
                overwrite RedBoot to try and correct any problems with this.

                Would anyone like to suggest what might be the best option?

                Neither really appeal, but the second would appear to carry the risk
                that I might completely kill it.

                Thanks in advance for the help.

                Ian
              • Fernando Carolo
                ... Try the first one. A serial port should give you more information about what s going on with Redboot, maybe even try to re-flash the slug using the serial
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  On 9/17/07, ian_jefferyes <nslu2@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > From what I understand I have a couple of options.
                  >
                  > 1. Put on the serial port connector to see if that helps me diagnose
                  > what is going on during start up.
                  > 2. Use upslug2 and not only try and load the firmware, but also
                  > overwrite RedBoot to try and correct any problems with this.
                  >
                  > Would anyone like to suggest what might be the best option?

                  Try the first one. A serial port should give you more information
                  about what's going on with Redboot, maybe even try to re-flash the
                  slug using the serial port
                  (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlashUsingOnlyTheSerialPort).

                  > Neither really appeal, but the second would appear to carry the risk
                  > that I might completely kill it.

                  That's right. Overwrite Redboot is probably one of the last things to
                  try, and given the problems you reported I would not try it without
                  JTAG access.

                  --
                  Fernando Carolo
                  "Ignore the noise. Make some signal" -- Nathan Torkington
                • John
                  ... If the converters mentioned in the wiki aren t available in the UK, try googling on CMOS to RS232 converter or similar.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 17, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 11:23:39PM -0000, ian_jefferyes wrote:
                    > Do you know here in the UK I can buy a RS232 Converter Link so that I
                    > can add the serial port?

                    If the converters mentioned in the wiki aren't available in
                    the UK, try googling on "CMOS to RS232 converter" or similar.
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.