Re: HELP! Dead slug…

  • bty597733
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
      > I'd suggest trying a different power supply.
      > Frank

      Interesting suggestion Frank. The slug is getting power just
      behaving erratic! Would the power supply have a bearing on it?

      After reading an entry in the linksys forum, I have now replaced the
      battery in the slug, to see if this solves the problem. Alas, no
      joy. While sometimes it does detect the disks, I can never access it
      via the web browser. Indeed, while the light for the device is lit
      on my router, I cannot see my slug as an attached devive :-(

      Looks like I'm off to buy a new slug...

      Jason.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "thorn_dc802" <fthornton@...>
      wrote:

      > I'd suggest trying a different power supply.
      > Frank
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@>
      wrote:

      > > Interesting... After leaving it for the last hour I now have the
      > > Ready/Status light green as well as the Ethernet light. I can
      now
      > > access the standard web interface, but no disks have been
      detected.

      > > Any ideas any one?
      > >
      > > Many thanks in advance, Jason.
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > After a week on holiday, I came back yesterday to find my slug
      > > > locked. No problem, a power off at the mains and a reboot
      restored
      > > > access. However, things were not right…
      > > >
      > > > My slug runs Unslug 5.5, twonky vision, 2 hard disks with
      nightly
      > > > backup (http://www.nslu2-
      > > > linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware), a
      web
      > > > site (simply put a new index.html page in the thttpd
      directory),
      > > and
      > > > CUPS printing ( the 2nd disk is connected to a usb 1.1 hub).
      I've
      > > > had issues with CUPS, where the slug lost slight of the 2nd
      disk
      > > > after processing a print job. So no printer was attached while
      > > was
      > > > on holiday, and no print job had been attempted since its last
      > > > reboot.
      > > >
      > > > So what was wrong… My slug stated that the back up had run
      every
      > > day
      > > > (at 2am) but on the day of my return from holiday, the backup
      had
      > > > started but never finished. This was probably the root cause
      of
      > > the
      > > > lock up; however, more worrying was that my web pages were not
      > > > accessible. I could browse my data using the web interface,
      but my
      > > > web site was no where to be found (I'd also altered some of
      the
      > > web
      > > > interface graphics which were showing as standard).
      > > >
      > > > I powered down the slug, to re-boot but now it will not come
      back
      > > > life! I briefly get the Ready/Status light show amber, then
      the
      > > > Ethernet light glows green and the slug just sits there. No
      > > attempt
      > > > to access a hard disk, or anything! I've tried booting with
      just
      > > one
      > > > hard disk plugged in, no hard disks plugged in and nothing
      seems
      > > > make a difference.
      > > >
      > > > My slug is dead and I desperately need help…
      > > >
      > > > Jason.

    • carl_lowenstein
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
        wrote:

        > > I'd suggest trying a different power supply.
        > > Frank
        >
        > Interesting suggestion Frank. The slug is getting power just
        > behaving erratic! Would the power supply have a bearing on it?
        >
        > After reading an entry in the linksys forum, I have now replaced
        the
        > battery in the slug, to see if this solves the problem. Alas, no
        > joy. While sometimes it does detect the disks, I can never access
        it
        > via the web browser. Indeed, while the light for the device is lit
        > on my router, I cannot see my slug as an attached devive :-(
        >
        > Looks like I'm off to buy a new slug...

        It is possible that the power supply has enough output voltage to
        light the lights but not enough for the internal computer to function
        properly.

        carl
      • bty597733
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "carl_lowenstein"
          <clowenstein@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > > I'd suggest trying a different power supply.
          > > > Frank
          > >
          > > Interesting suggestion Frank. The slug is getting power just
          > > behaving erratic! Would the power supply have a bearing on it?
          > >
          > > After reading an entry in the linksys forum, I have now replaced
          > the
          > > battery in the slug, to see if this solves the problem. Alas, no
          > > joy. While sometimes it does detect the disks, I can never
          access
          > it
          > > via the web browser. Indeed, while the light for the device is
          lit
          > > on my router, I cannot see my slug as an attached devive :-(
          > >
          > > Looks like I'm off to buy a new slug...
          > >

          > It is possible that the power supply has enough output voltage to
          > light the lights but not enough for the internal computer to
          function
          > properly.
          >
          > carl

          MMmm... maybe, I just don't see it. Sometimes the slug will just sit
          there with a flashing ethernet light (in this condition entering the
          unit's ip address in my browser returns a search page), othertimes
          it will power up properly, detect the hard disk(s) and will look
          like it performing a scan of files for twonky vision, as the hard
          disk light is very active to start with (what I would expect). When
          powered up correctly, the web brownser now returns a page not found
          instead of a search page, but I still can't access the web admin
          pages.

          Jase.