NSLU serves data really slowly

  • sqrt3
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2007
      I'm using my NSLU2 with Unslung 6.8 beta and a 250-GB-USB disk
      attatched at port 2 (ext-3-formatted and used as unsling-disk).
      Upload to NSLU is quite fast (about 3 MB/s with FTP/Samba/NFS). But
      when I try to load some data from the NSLU I get about 6 KB/s. What
      can be the reason for this?
      The NSLU ist attatched to the Ethernet-Port of my DSL-Router as my
      pc is, too. Internet download speed is about 89 KB/s, so ethernet
      speed should not be the reason.
    • Frank Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 20, 2007
        sqrt3 wrote:
        > I'm using my NSLU2 with Unslung 6.8 beta and a 250-GB-USB disk
        > attatched at port 2 (ext-3-formatted and used as unsling-disk).
        > Upload to NSLU is quite fast (about 3 MB/s with FTP/Samba/NFS). But
        > when I try to load some data from the NSLU I get about 6 KB/s. What
        > can be the reason for this?

        The asymmetrical transfer rates, with one being in the low KB/sec,
        are a strong indicator of a duplex mismatch (one end is set to
        full-duplex and one is at half-duplex) on your ethernet link,
        causing high collision and resend rates in one direction but not
        the other. Autonegotiation should handle this, but evidently it
        is failing (or manually set) on at least one end of the link.
        When autonegotiation fails on one end of the link, it will
        fall back to the default half-duplex, and if the other end is
        full duplex you will experience the symptoms you describe.
        You may not be able to see or control the duplex settings on
        your DSL router, so try forcing the NSLU2 to either full-duplex
        or half-duplex and see which one gets you better throughput.
        I'm not sure what tools are available on unslung, so perhaps
        someone else on the list can jump in with the proper command to
        set it.

        Frank.