Persistent Unslung Logo

  • jnewgas
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6 4:39 PM
      I have been running Unslung happily, but had an episode of corruption
      which was not cured by reflashing and erasing the Config Area with
      Unlsung.

      Reflashing with Linksys Software however has left the original Unlsung
      Penguin logo in the top left of the web page? Is this normal ?
      I have tried flushing the browser caceh but it is definately there.

      I then tried (the dangerous) Linksys EraseAll utility. The NSLU2 works
      fine but the Unslung logo remains.

      Any ideas ?

      John N
    • Thomas Cooper
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8 8:56 AM
        The logo is in your browser cache. You were good to go on the very first
        reflash.

        Clear your cache.

        On 8/6/07, jnewgas <nslu2.10.jnewgas@...> wrote:

        > I have been running Unslung happily, but had an episode of corruption
        > which was not cured by reflashing and erasing the Config Area with
        > Unlsung.
        >
        > Reflashing with Linksys Software however has left the original Unlsung
        > Penguin logo in the top left of the web page? Is this normal ?
        > I have tried flushing the browser caceh but it is definately there.
        >
        > I then tried (the dangerous) Linksys EraseAll utility. The NSLU2 works
        > fine but the Unslung logo remains.
        >
        > Any ideas ?
        >
        > John N

      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 11 12:14 PM
          On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 23:39 +0000, jnewgas wrote:

          > Any ideas ?

          Did you erase the disk attached to the slug as well?

          Unlsung copies the content of the flash to the harddisk
          and then uses that as root filesystem. I am not sure if
          the linksys firmware does the same?

          --
          marceln
        • David K
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 11 11:41 PM
            Hi all

            I have a NSLU2, which is working reliably but seems very slow.
            What can I do to improve its performance, and maybe even
            add print server functionality for USB printers.

            Can it serve >2 disks?

            I don't know any linux so most of the advice I have seen while
            lurking is way over my head!

            But I maybe would be able to follow detailed instructions.

            DK

            Melbourne.au
          • bascule_the_fule
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 12 1:01 AM
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, David K <subs@...> wrote:

              > Hi all
              >
              > I have a NSLU2, which is working reliably but seems very slow.
              > What can I do to improve its performance, and maybe even
              > add print server functionality for USB printers.
              >
              > Can it serve >2 disks?
              >
              > I don't know any linux so most of the advice I have seen while
              > lurking is way over my head!
              >
              > But I maybe would be able to follow detailed instructions.

              Hi DK.

              The instructions here [1] will get you through a Debian installation
              on an NSLU2. However, what they won't do is impart the knowledge you
              need to get out of trouble if you deviate from them accidentally or if
              the installation goes wrong. Nor will they teach you how to maintain
              your system securely, install samba and all the stuff you need for
              file and print serving, etc.

              On the surface that's not good Linux advocacy on my I know, but I am
              trying to give you pause for thought before you dive on in and find
              yourself swimming in water a little too deep for personal comfort.

              On the other hand, if your slug is going to be visible only from your
              own network (i.e. not Internet facing) and you are interested in
              learning about Linux, then it might afford you an ideal opportunity to
              make a start. There are some excellent Linux User Groups whose members
              will glady assist new users, and many HOWTOs that will guide you
              through basic samba installations (for file and print serving). I
              guess this also depends on how quickly you need to be up and running
              with this sort of functionality too, although I had my basic system up
              and running within a day.

              As for multiple disks, we were discussing this yesterday on the Hants
              Linux User group [2] and concurred that with a full Debian system
              running on your slug there is no obvious reason why you should not
              attach a USB hub to one of the ports to facilitate expansion of the
              number of disks supported. That said, I am waiting for someone else to
              try it first before I shell out on a hub and a new drive enclosure!

              btf

              [1] http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
              [2] http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage
            • Marcel Nijenhof
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 12 1:27 AM
                On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 16:41 +1000, David K wrote:

                > I have a NSLU2, which is working reliably but seems very slow.

                Copying a 4GB dvd between two fast servers with GB interfaces
                takes about 40 secondes. If you just have to wait those 40
                seconds then they seem long and your servers look slow.

                So please specify what you mean by slow in numbers!

                You can expect about 3 mb/sec from a slug. So copying a cd
                will take 200 seconds under normal conditions.

                > What can I do to improve its performance

                You could remove the resistance:
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug

                Or add memory:
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FatSlug

                > and maybe even add print server functionality for USB printers.

                Please have a look at:
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter

                > Can it serve >2 disks?

                Yes. But how to do it depends on the firmware you use.

                --
                marceln
              • Marcel Nijenhof
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 12 3:57 AM
                  On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 08:01 +0000, bascule_the_fule wrote:

                  > The instructions here [1] will get you through a Debian installation
                  > on an NSLU2.

                  I really don't think it's wise to install debian on a slug if you hardly
                  now anything from linux.

                  --
                  marceln
                • bascule_the_fule
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 12 6:55 AM
                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

                    > On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 08:01 +0000, bascule_the_fule wrote:
                    >
                    > > The instructions here [1] will get you through a Debian installation
                    > > on an NSLU2.
                    >
                    > I really don't think it's wise to install debian on a slug if you hardly
                    > now anything from linux.

                    Nor do I, and that's why I also wrote this:

                    <quote>
                    The instructions here [1] will get you through a Debian installation
                    on an NSLU2. However, what they won't do is impart the knowledge you
                    need to get out of trouble if you deviate from them accidentally or if
                    the installation goes wrong. Nor will they teach you how to maintain
                    your system securely, install samba and all the stuff you need for
                    file and print serving, etc.

                    On the surface that's not good Linux advocacy on my I know, but I am
                    trying to give you pause for thought before you dive on in and find
                    yourself swimming in water a little too deep for personal comfort.
                    </quote>

                    .. but then it depends on a number of factors doesn't it? If the
                    original poster is competent in other disciplines, is keen to learn
                    Linux and is not dependent on his/her slug then it might be an ideal
                    way to learn.

                    However, on the surface I agree with you Marcel, as I can see a number
                    of pitfalls that might discourage a total beginner for good if they
                    encounter them under these circumstances.

                    btf
                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 13 3:44 AM
                      Just on testing the speed of your slug, I agree that it's slower than
                      what I expected.

                      I have been doing some speed testing on a new SAN and found
                      http://www.iozone.org/

                      iozone is pretty good, just run iozone.exe -a from your windows client
                      and post the speeds your getting, if other people post the results, we
                      can get some expected performance stats. at a minimum you can use it to
                      adjust your samba buffers and prove the difference.

                      I'm running open slug 2.7 I think and i'm looking at doing the debian
                      migration, just need to back up my 750gb of crap to something, ensure
                      twonky goes down nicely and I'll be doing it.

                      Michael.

                      --
                      Michael
                      diveboy@...
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 13 8:18 AM
                        Getting the Slug to do things it wasn't originally meant to, is a
                        somewhat geeky task.

                        If you just want an appliance that serves > 2 disks, acts as a print
                        server and is superduper fast, you should buy such a device (or devices).

                        If you want to learn about Linux, download an compile this and that,
                        mess with cryptic error messages in order to figure out how to correct
                        a problem, and open your device in order to modify the hardware, then
                        go with the NSLU2.

                        Personally i went with the second option, and I love it.

                        There's a risk that you "brick" your NSLU2, waste a lot of time with
                        no benefit, and end up frustrated and hateful towards Linux if you
                        only want the solution without the work.

                        The NSLU2 is a fun and rewarding toy, and can be a great appliance
                        with many cool uses, if you are willing to learn and put a little
                        effort to it. And you get to be part of a helpful community filled
                        with experts and other clever entities :-)

                        I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to calibrate your
                        expectations towards this task.

                        Good luck with whatever solution you choose!

                        --
                        Martin