Re: File copies bring slug to it's knees

  • curtpederson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 2:59 PM
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 01:47 +0000, curtpederson wrote:
      >
      > > Here is the information about my USB enclosure:
      > >
      > > T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
      > > D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
      > > P: Vendor=04b4 ProdID=6830 Rev= 0.01
      > > S: Manufacturer=Cypress Semiconductor
      > > S: Product=USB2.0 Storage Device
      > >

      > Which firmware and filesysten do you use?

      This is the message it gives me when I log in:

      Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta

      It is formatted as EXT3:

      /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw)
      /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)

      > > My slug and network are running at 100mb and I'm using switches, so
      > > the collisions shouldn't be an issue.
      >
      > Are you sure?
      >
      > I have seen a lot problems with switches if autonegations fails. After
      > that the switch could run in full duplex mode and the host in half
      > duplex which will cause a lot collisions and bad performance.

      Well, I'm not 100% sure, but the switch shows it is running in
      100/full mode. I'll force my PC into 100/full mode and see what happens.

      I've been able to SCP files from my Mac to other machines on the
      network without performance issues. Is there a way to force the slug
      into 100/full mode (even though the switch says it is?)

      Thanks!
    • Thomas Reitmayr
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6 11:11 AM
        Hi Curt,
        my own observation is that there are several factors influencing
        performance for file transfers:

        - Mount options: 'sync' definitely slows down transfers a lot. You should
        notice the performance hit when accessing /share/flash/conf.

        - The buffer options: Using 32KB for rx and tx buffer works best for me.
        For Samba that would be (slug-side samba options)
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=32768 SO_SNDBUF=32768
        for NFS (PC side mount options)
        rsize=32768,wsize=32768

        - The file system used: The journaling "overhead" of ext3 was quite
        noticable on my slug so I use ext2 for bulk data and on a different
        partition ext3 for important stuff.

        - The distro used: I have no experience with unslung, however with
        SlugOS/BE 3.10 I saw 8,1 MB/s reading, 7,1 MB/s writing, now with
        SlugOS/BE unstable it is only 4,6 MB/s reading, 4,3 MB/s writing. CPU-load
        usually goes up to 80 - 90% and seems to be major limiting factor, as you
        have observed.

        There is some more information at
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/Performance

        Regards,