Re: Problems with cron

  • Daniel Berenguer
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, John <jl.050877@...> wrote:

      > > Should I set maybe any environment variable?
      >
      > Yes. PATH is an important one, e.g.
      >
      > export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/local/bin
      >
      > but change this to insert whatever path your script needs.
      >
      > Cron starts jobs with only specific environment variables set.
      > Anything else that your job needs must be set explicitly. This is
      > a security measure designed to prevent a hostile user from
      > capturing control of someone else's cron job.

      John, I'm using absolute paths in my crontab. Should I add the PATH
      variable anyway?

      Thanks,

      Daniel.
    • John
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
        Daniel,

        > John, I'm using absolute paths in my crontab. Should I add the PATH
        > variable anyway?

        Do the programs that you are running in crontab need the PATH
        variable in order to run other programs? Many unix programs
        call/run other unix programs.

        The example you gave was /etc/syncdate. I don't know what
        that is but, from the name alone, it seems quite possible that its
        operation depends on being able to find another program in the path
        such as rdate or ntpdate or ntpd or similar.

        If things are set up right, any output from the cron job
        should be mailed to you. Do you get any error messages from the
        cron job?

        John
      • Daniel Berenguer
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2007
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, John <jl.050877@...> wrote:

          > Daniel,
          >
          > > John, I'm using absolute paths in my crontab. Should I add the PATH
          > > variable anyway?
          >
          > Do the programs that you are running in crontab need the PATH
          > variable in order to run other programs? Many unix programs
          > call/run other unix programs.
          >
          > The example you gave was /etc/syncdate. I don't know what
          > that is but, from the name alone, it seems quite possible that its
          > operation depends on being able to find another program in the path
          > such as rdate or ntpdate or ntpd or similar.
          >
          > If things are set up right, any output from the cron job
          > should be mailed to you. Do you get any error messages from the
          > cron job?
          >
          > John

          Hi John.

          Setting PATTH makes no differrence so far. I'm even testing with more
          simple crontabs and "most of the times" they don't work. Ex:

          SHELL=/bin/sh
          PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/opt/bin:/opt/sbin

          0 0 * * * echo "hello!" >> /home/hello.txt

          At 00:00 sometimes hello.txt is created and edited and sometimes not.
          I'm plying with the system time in order to do my tests and this is
          maybe somehow causing problems, but I'm not sure.

          Now I realize that pointing to a script placed in /home or /etc
          doesn't make any difference either.

          ... I'm continuing with my tests...

          Thank you very much,

          Daniel.