Which firmware to use?

  • Adam Cripps
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31 10:18 AM
      I'm new to my linksys nslu2 and wish to upgrade the firmware to use it
      for http (mod_python included), samba, cups (print sharing), some
      bittorrent use, possibly squid, ssh access. I may even possibly try
      and run some media sharing, such as gnump3d(?).

      My question is, which firmware would be best for the above packages?
      My main desktop machine used to run Debian (before the wonderful
      Ubuntu came along) so I am used to .deb packaging and apt-get
      installations. However, does it have all the packages I need?

      I've read this page [1] but am still not sure which one to go for.
      Debian looks the obvious choice, but I don't know enough about SlugOS
      to make an informed decision.

      TIA
      Adma

      [1] http://www.slug-firmware.net/
      --
      http://www.monkeez.org
      PGP key: 0x7111B833
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Cripps" <kabads@...> wrote:

        Hi Adam,

        > I'm new to my linksys nslu2 and wish to upgrade the firmware to use it
        > for http (mod_python included), samba, cups (print sharing), some
        > bittorrent use, possibly squid, ssh access. I may even possibly try
        > and run some media sharing, such as gnump3d(?).

        I am doing most of what you describe above.

        > My question is, which firmware would be best for the above packages?
        > My main desktop machine used to run Debian (before the wonderful
        > Ubuntu came along) so I am used to .deb packaging and apt-get
        > installations. However, does it have all the packages I need?

        Yup, it's Debian!

        > I've read this page [1] but am still not sure which one to go for.
        > Debian looks the obvious choice, but I don't know enough about SlugOS
        > to make an informed decision.

        I can't really help you there in terms of which one will squeeze the
        last drop of performance out of the hardware, etc., but I can say that
        if you know Debian then you will be completely at home with the
        installation and upkeep of your system. Package installations are
        utterly predictable as you are installing from the latest stable
        release, and all the tools you need for day-to-day maintenance are
        there as you might expect.

        I encountered one issue with an attempt to install Swiki Swiki;
        essentially the pre-comiled Linux binary would not run, I guess on
        account of the architectural differences between i386 and arm. A
        shame, but I can't really blame that on Debian!

        With regard to gnump3d, it seems to run okay as long as you can handle
        the slight pause thatgoes with loading up a big collection. I
        previously ran it on an Epia 5000 based system and the performance
        drop is noticeable (500MHz to 266MHz - understandable I guess) but not
        intolerable given that I was trying to reduce the amount of power I
        was drawing.

        If you do decide to go Debian the instructions here [2] worked
        flawlessly for me with one exception that got my pulse up a beat or
        two, but was eventually overcome without tears. Basically I got all
        the way through the installation and one package complained to the
        effect it could not install due to errors; I simply backtracked and
        re-ran the software installation component and it installed without
        issue the second time around.

        BTF
        (sean from HantsLUG, or is it HantSLUG?)

        [1] Swiki Swiki
        [2] http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
      • Adam Cripps
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
          On 8/1/07, bascule_the_fule <sean@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Cripps" <kabads@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi Adam,
          >

          > > I'm new to my linksys nslu2 and wish to upgrade the firmware to use it
          > > for http (mod_python included), samba, cups (print sharing), some
          > > bittorrent use, possibly squid, ssh access. I may even possibly try
          > > and run some media sharing, such as gnump3d(?).
          >
          > I am doing most of what you describe above.
          >

          > > My question is, which firmware would be best for the above packages?
          > > My main desktop machine used to run Debian (before the wonderful
          > > Ubuntu came along) so I am used to .deb packaging and apt-get
          > > installations. However, does it have all the packages I need?
          >
          > Yup, it's Debian!
          >

          > > I've read this page [1] but am still not sure which one to go for.
          > > Debian looks the obvious choice, but I don't know enough about SlugOS
          > > to make an informed decision.
          >
          > I can't really help you there in terms of which one will squeeze the
          > last drop of performance out of the hardware, etc., but I can say that
          > if you know Debian then you will be completely at home with the
          > installation and upkeep of your system. Package installations are
          > utterly predictable as you are installing from the latest stable
          > release, and all the tools you need for day-to-day maintenance are
          > there as you might expect.
          >
          > I encountered one issue with an attempt to install Swiki Swiki;
          > essentially the pre-comiled Linux binary would not run, I guess on
          > account of the architectural differences between i386 and arm. A
          > shame, but I can't really blame that on Debian!
          >
          > With regard to gnump3d, it seems to run okay as long as you can handle
          > the slight pause thatgoes with loading up a big collection. I
          > previously ran it on an Epia 5000 based system and the performance
          > drop is noticeable (500MHz to 266MHz - understandable I guess) but not
          > intolerable given that I was trying to reduce the amount of power I
          > was drawing.
          >
          > If you do decide to go Debian the instructions here [2] worked
          > flawlessly for me with one exception that got my pulse up a beat or
          > two, but was eventually overcome without tears. Basically I got all
          > the way through the installation and one package complained to the
          > effect it could not install due to errors; I simply backtracked and
          > re-ran the software installation component and it installed without
          > issue the second time around.
          >
          > BTF
          > (sean from HantsLUG, or is it HantSLUG?)

          Sean - thanks for the advice. Debian it is then.

          A fellow Hantlugger here eh? We do get around, don't we? Perhaps
          HantSLUG could be a sub-group of the parent group HantsLug? :-)

          Adam
          --
          http://www.monkeez.org
          PGP key: 0x7111B833