Referring to drives by their labels

  • Richard Fearn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2007
      Hello,

      I've just set up my Debian slug to boot with two drives attached,
      since one has the OS on it, while the other is just data.

      I initially came across the section entitled "The slug fails to reboot
      with 2 drives connected", on this page:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage

      which talks about referring to the root drive by its UUID, and then
      using update-initramfs and flash-kernel. I did that, but my swap
      partition was still wrong (/dev/sda2 in /etc/fstab, but /dev/sdb2 in
      reality).

      I then found this page:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/MountDisksByLabel

      which covers setting a label on the root partition *and* the swap
      partition. However, it doesn't mention update-initramfs/flash-kernel.

      I think it would be clearer if Debian/HomePage were to link to
      HowTo/MountDisksByLabel. Does anyone have any objections to me merging
      the content from Debian/HomePage into HowTo/MountDisksByLabel?

      Regards

      Rich