Re: [nslu2-general] dual native disks with 63 and unslung 6 does not work

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2007
      > From: "sfoskett" <pedxing@...>
      > Here's the problem. With Unslung 6, when I connect
      > two natively formatted drives to the slug and reboot, it
      > always mounts the conf partition for the drive in slot 1
      > (/dev/sdb) for both drives.

      Yes. This behavior has been known for a long time, and I've lost track of
      how many places it's been documented in the wiki. It is clearly noted in
      the "Which USB Port" wiki article, at the very least, and I think several
      others as well.

      I think the first problem is that people are surprised by this behavior,
      which makes me think that the information, while present in the wiki, isn't
      where people expect it to be. Can you please help us out by adding
      information about this issue where YOU expected to find it in the wiki?
      Hopefully, if everyone does this, this problem will be less of a surprise.

      Honestly, I'm not being a jerk here -- I've tried to place this info in All
      The Right Places(tm), but clearly I'm not getting where it should be. If
      everyone who gets an answer on this mailing list would update the wiki in
      such a fashion that they wouldn't have had to ask on the mailing list in the
      first place, then they'd be saving a lot of time for others who will
      encounter the same issue in the future, right?

      > This is extremely bad. Looks like rc.bootbin has a big fat
      > bug, since I can't imagine this is the intended behavior!

      I agree that it is extremely bad. I too assumed that it was a bug, but
      after spending many hours poking at this in hopes of trying to find a
      resolution (it's worse than you imagine, actually), I've come to the
      conclusion that this was a deliberate (but very misguided) attempt by
      Linksys to solve a problem they introduced by adding support for hubs and
      multi-LUN devices. If you dump out some of the Linksys binaries searching
      for text strings, you can actually find evidence of the code that does
      this -- unmounts the original partition, and double-mounts the other one!

      There is some evidence that suggests this behavior has been altered in some
      way in the R72 firmware, but since that has not been officially released by
      Linksys, no source is available, and an Unslung version based on that
      firmware has not been even worked on, to my knowlege. I also hear that some
      folks have seen R73, but I've never seen a copy of that firmware.

      > The effect of this is that any shares created on the drive in
      > slot 2 are duplicated on the next reboot with a "share~1"
      > and disappear on the reboot after that.

      Also documented on the wiki. I think someone put some information on a
      workaround for this in the wiki as well.

      > Does anyone have a good solution for this?

      Unsling to the device in USB port 1, and all should be well again. This,
      too, is in the wiki!

      > I intend right now to try to have just the flash natively formatted
      > and unsling to it. I'll partition the hard disk into a single large
      > partition and format it as ext3 and mount it for shares under
      > /share/hdd/data, using a diversion script to mount it on boot.

      Sure, that'll work too, if you have the skills for it. In some respects it
      will work better, as you have control over it.

      Of course, if you have the skills to manage this, to add the shares
      manually, and all the rest, I must ask if perhaps you might consider using
      OpenSlug 3.10, or Debian on the NSLU2 instead -- you might find that to be a
      better overall solution.

      Mike (mwester)