dual native disks with 63 and unslung 6 does not work

  • sfoskett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2007
      I have a new NSLU2 and am having a vexing problem. I'm trying to boot
      from a 1GB thumb drive and use a 500 GB disk drive as storage. I'm an
      experienced Linux and UNIX administrator.

      Why these two disks? Simply because I want to let the disk drive spin
      down as long as possible. It'll be serving as a firefly and
      file/backup server and will likely go days without use, knowing my
      house. So I want the rest of the functions to continue normally while
      the disk sits spun down for reliability and power consumption reasons.

      Here's the problem. With Unslung 6, when I connect two natively
      formatted drives to the slug and reboot, it always mounts the conf
      partition for the drive in slot 1 (/dev/sdb) for both drives. Look at
      this:
      - with the hard disk in slot 2:
      # df
      Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
      rootfs 723320 34732 681240 5% /
      /dev/sdb1 6528 6332 196 97% /initrd
      /dev/sdb1 723320 34732 681240 5% /
      /dev/sda1 480482192 32856 475567908 0% /share/flash/data
      /dev/sdb1 723320 34732 681240 5% /share/hdd/data
      /dev/sdb2 123811 4144 118389 3% /share/hdd/conf
      /dev/sdb2 123811 4144 118389 3% /share/flash/conf

      - with the hard disk in slot 1:
      # df
      Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
      rootfs 723320 34732 681240 5% /
      /dev/sdb1 6528 6332 196 97% /initrd
      /dev/sdb1 723320 34732 681240 5% /
      /dev/sda1 480482192 32864 475567900 0% /share/flash/data
      /dev/sdb1 723320 34732 681240 5% /share/hdd/data
      /dev/sdb2 123811 4144 118389 3% /share/hdd/conf
      /dev/sdb2 123811 4144 118389 3% /share/flash/conf

      This is extremely bad. Looks like rc.bootbin has a big fat bug, since
      I can't imagine this is the intended behavior! The effect of this is
      that any shares created on the drive in slot 2 are duplicated on the
      next reboot with a "share~1" and disappear on the reboot after that.

      Does anyone have a good solution for this? I intend right now to try
      to have just the flash natively formatted and unsling to it. I'll
      partition the hard disk into a single large partition and format it as
      ext3 and mount it for shares under /share/hdd/data, using a diversion
      script to mount it on boot.

      Thoughts?
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2007
        > From: "sfoskett" <pedxing@...>
        [snip]
        > Here's the problem. With Unslung 6, when I connect
        > two natively formatted drives to the slug and reboot, it
        > always mounts the conf partition for the drive in slot 1
        > (/dev/sdb) for both drives.

        Yes. This behavior has been known for a long time, and I've lost track of
        how many places it's been documented in the wiki. It is clearly noted in
        the "Which USB Port" wiki article, at the very least, and I think several
        others as well.

        I think the first problem is that people are surprised by this behavior,
        which makes me think that the information, while present in the wiki, isn't
        where people expect it to be. Can you please help us out by adding
        information about this issue where YOU expected to find it in the wiki?
        Hopefully, if everyone does this, this problem will be less of a surprise.

        Honestly, I'm not being a jerk here -- I've tried to place this info in All
        The Right Places(tm), but clearly I'm not getting where it should be. If
        everyone who gets an answer on this mailing list would update the wiki in
        such a fashion that they wouldn't have had to ask on the mailing list in the
        first place, then they'd be saving a lot of time for others who will
        encounter the same issue in the future, right?

        > This is extremely bad. Looks like rc.bootbin has a big fat
        > bug, since I can't imagine this is the intended behavior!

        I agree that it is extremely bad. I too assumed that it was a bug, but
        after spending many hours poking at this in hopes of trying to find a
        resolution (it's worse than you imagine, actually), I've come to the
        conclusion that this was a deliberate (but very misguided) attempt by
        Linksys to solve a problem they introduced by adding support for hubs and
        multi-LUN devices. If you dump out some of the Linksys binaries searching
        for text strings, you can actually find evidence of the code that does
        this -- unmounts the original partition, and double-mounts the other one!

        There is some evidence that suggests this behavior has been altered in some
        way in the R72 firmware, but since that has not been officially released by
        Linksys, no source is available, and an Unslung version based on that
        firmware has not been even worked on, to my knowlege. I also hear that some
        folks have seen R73, but I've never seen a copy of that firmware.

        > The effect of this is that any shares created on the drive in
        > slot 2 are duplicated on the next reboot with a "share~1"
        > and disappear on the reboot after that.

        Also documented on the wiki. I think someone put some information on a
        workaround for this in the wiki as well.

        > Does anyone have a good solution for this?

        Unsling to the device in USB port 1, and all should be well again. This,
        too, is in the wiki!

        > I intend right now to try to have just the flash natively formatted
        > and unsling to it. I'll partition the hard disk into a single large
        > partition and format it as ext3 and mount it for shares under
        > /share/hdd/data, using a diversion script to mount it on boot.

        Sure, that'll work too, if you have the skills for it. In some respects it
        will work better, as you have control over it.

        Of course, if you have the skills to manage this, to add the shares
        manually, and all the rest, I must ask if perhaps you might consider using
        OpenSlug 3.10, or Debian on the NSLU2 instead -- you might find that to be a
        better overall solution.

        Mike (mwester)