WD MyBook World Edition hacking

  • martinhinner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2007

      I have set up a website about WD MyBook World Ed. hacking; look at
      http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/ - it might be useful for many people.

      I plan to provide also some kind of 'ports' (like FreeBSD ports),
      but nowadays there are only some pre-compiled packages.

      Please consider adding link to my project from your website (i.e.
      from the left column "Projects" area ...).

      -Martin
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2007
        martinhinner wrote:
        > I have set up a website about WD MyBook World Ed. hacking; look at
        > http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/ - it might be useful for many people.

        Nice site. A couple of things that I would have expected to see there:

        1) The source code for your martin.hinner.info/mybook/firmware.php
        script (i.e. how do I know you don't have a trojan in there).

        2) The source code modifications for your busybox and other tarballs.
        This is required by GPL of course.

        3) Details of how to unbrick the device if you happen to brick it
        accidentally installing your new applications (i.e. if you interrupt the
        busybox installation.

        4) Details of a serial port connection if there is one.

        > I plan to provide also some kind of 'ports' (like FreeBSD ports),
        > but nowadays there are only some pre-compiled packages.

        You should either have the source code alongside those packages, or an
        offer (valid for three years) to provide that source code on written
        request.

        > Please consider adding link to my project from your website (i.e.
        > from the left column "Projects" area ...).

        I'm interested - what do you see as the link between your project and
        nslu2-linux which would make it suitable for our Projects area?

        In general, without the source code and basic information which allows
        someone to unbrick their device, we could not recommend this site to our
        nslu2-linux users by adding a link to our website.

        -- Rod Whitby
        -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead