Re: CUPS printing problems.

  • bty597733
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2007
      After reading through the wiki again I spotted that unslung 5.5
      does not play nice with many usb 2 hubs. So I've purchased a Mikomi
      4 port mini USB 1.1 hub, and the good news is I can now print with
      the printer plugged into this hub in Disk 2. However, my 2nd hard
      disk is no longer reconised, so I can't back Disk 1 up on a regular
      basis!

      Does any one know of a solution to this problem, so close yet...

      Many thanks, Jason.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > # Make device if not present (not devfs)
      > if ( [ ! -c /dev/lp0 ] ) then
      > # Make /dev/net directory if needed
      > mknod /dev/lp0 c 180 0
      > fi
      >
      > chmod 777 /dev/lp0
      >
      > # Make sure the printer driver is running
      > if ( !(lsmod | grep "^printer" -q) ); then
      > insmod /opt/lib/modules/printer.o
      > fi
      >
      > if [ -n "`pidof cupsd`" ]; then
      > /bin/killall cupsd 2>/dev/null
      > fi
      >
      > /opt/sbin/cupsd
      >
      > Can any one help me?
      >
      > Many thanks, Jason.
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I have my slug running unslung 5.5, my primary disk connected to
      > > Disk 1 on a usb hub (where my printer is also connected), with
      > Disk
      > > 2 being used for my backup disk. I have installed cups as per
      the
      > > instructions at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
      > and
      > > have access to the CUPS pages on port 631, have configured my
      > > printer using these pages and have the following printers.conf
      > file
      > > in /opt/etc/cups:
      > >
      > > <DefaultPrinter Epson915>
      > > Info Colour Photo Printer
      > > Location Study
      > > DeviceURI usb:/dev/lp0
      > > State Idle
      > > StateTime 1183326029
      > > Accepting Yes
      > > Shared Yes
      > > JobSheets none none
      > > QuotaPeriod 0
      > > PageLimit 0
      > > KLimit 0
      > > OpPolicy default
      > > ErrorPolicy stop-printer
      > > </Printer>
      > >
      > > I can configure Windows to see this printer, and I can see print
      > > jobs in the CUPS pages. However, none of them print! CUPS
      reports"
      > > Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds...". When
      setting
      > up
      > > the printer I select the Device as "LPD//LPR Host or Printer",
      > enter
      > > the Device URI as "usb:/dev/lp0", and the printer make and model
      > > RAW.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong?
      > >
      > > I have "chmod 777 /dev/lp0", however; I have noticed this chmod
      is
      > > lost after a re-boot of the slug.
      > >
      > > My primary disk and printer are connected to Disk 1 via a usb 2,
      > > while my backup disk is on disk 2. I have noticed that the disk
      2
      > > light does not show on my slug when the printer is connected to
      > the
      > > usb 2! The linksys interface reports that the disk is ok (we'll
      > see
      > > if tonight's scheduled back runs as planned).

    • bty597733
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 16, 2007
        Reading through the wiki some more it seems that I may need to
        upgrade to Unsling 6.8 to be able to use a usb hub? Can someone
        confirm this? If so, what would be involved in doing this,
        considering the changes in disks etc. I just need to run 2 disks
        (with scheduled backup), with one disk connected to a hub so I can
        also add a printer. I have the scheduled backup working now, and can
        print my my printer (although not both at the same time obviously).

        If unslung is not mounting the disk because of the hub, would it be
        possible to manually mount the disk?

        Any help very much appericiated, I've got my slug running, twonky
        vision, openssh, rsync, and cups, as well as running my web site.
        Just need to get this problem sorted and I'm almost there...

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > > the Device URI as "usb:/dev/lp0", and the printer make and
        model
        > > > RAW.
        > > >
        > > > Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong?
        > > >
        > > > I have "chmod 777 /dev/lp0", however; I have noticed this
        chmod
        > is
        > > > lost after a re-boot of the slug.
        > > >
        > > > My primary disk and printer are connected to Disk 1 via a usb
        2,
        > > > while my backup disk is on disk 2. I have noticed that the
        disk
        > 2
        > > > light does not show on my slug when the printer is connected
        > > the
        > > > usb 2! The linksys interface reports that the disk is ok
        (we'll
        > > see
        > > > if tonight's scheduled back runs as planned).

      • bty597733
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2007
          How strange... my slung has now decided to play nice with my back up
          hand disk and printer in Disk 2! I suspect that keeping the printer
          off the hub until after the slug has fulled powered up may have
          something to do with it, but need to run some more checks first.